HD vs Blue Ray - The Amazon.com Sales Report 9/25

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Chris Dugger, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Well...

Here is the breakdown as of 9/25 of the top 10 HD and Blue Ray discs...

1.) Batman Begins (HD DVD) - Sales rank 50
    2.) Terminator 3 (HD DVD) - Sales rank 185
    3.) Corpse Bride (HD DVD) - Sales Rank 241
    4.) Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (HD DVD) - Sales rankl 250
    5.) Polar Express (HD DVD) - Sales rank -317
    6.) The Thing (HD DVD) - Sales rank - 600
    7.) Adv Of Robin Hood (HD DVD) - Sales rank - 1038
    8.) Dirty Dozen (HD DVD) - Sales rank - 1104
    9.) Fear and Loathing in LV (HD DVD) - Sales rank - 1192
    10.) MI: Ultimate Collection (HD DVD) - Sales Rank - 1249
    11.) Good Night, Good Luck (BluRay) - Sales rank - 3817
    12.) 8 Below (BluRay) - Sales rank - 3902
    13.) Corpse Bride (BluRay) - Sales rank - 3936
    14.) Monster House (BluRay) - Sales rank - 3990
    15.) The Fugitive (BlueRay) - Sales rank - 4321
    16.) Black Hawk Down (BluRay) - Sales rank - 4423
    17.) Underworld - Evolution (BluRay) - Sales rank - 4885
    18.) Stealth (BluRay) - Sales rank - 5124
    19.) The Great Raid (BluRay) - Sales rank - 5441
    20.) The Terminator (BluRay) - Sales rank - 5848

But to keep it all in clear perspective - HD disc was 38 titles currently out selling the BluRay titles....

This data is as of 9/25/06 per Amazon.

Dugger

2. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

well I think those numbers will CHANGE drasticaly in november and december,

with many more titles, many more players and NUMBER of players........ it could reverse this table upside down....

Still the early time advantage and more player sold for HD-DVD are clearly SHOWED on this table...

Marek

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Could be, but I think at least for now, the software has just been much better on the HD-DVD side. I'm sure it will level out some as Blu-Ray gets out better titles and more players.

4. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

It's surprising that they're able to produce any meaningful data, given the big mess that their HD DVD (and probably Blu-Ray) section is in. They've fixed a bit of it lately, but it's still a joke, for a major online retailer.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Amazon is a joke the way they've handled their preorders. There is more than a few examples of me being unable to order some titles because they don't have them listed on their site. An example being the BRD of "The Professionals".

Crawdaddy

6. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus

I finally found someone to discuss their support at Amazon. This person indicated that they were working to prepare for big improvments, particularly for Blu-ray, in anticipation of high demand upon release of Playstation in November. Overnight they seem to have posted a number of Blu-ray new releases for pre-order. The Amazon site still, however, has many omissions in both Blu-ray and HD DVD sections. Again this week, it appears that they did not fill pre-orders yet for new titles.

There also seem to be some problems with their system. Customers should audit their orders carefully to be sure that one is not charged for free shipping and that the 10% discount is applied if one opted for these incentives. I had one order that indicated free second day shipping by each title in green only to find that a shipping and handling charge had been applied to the invoice. I have also found that newly listed titles often are not coded for the 10% discount. If one then calls customer service they will manually lower the item price but then a few days later an apparent computer audit of prices flags that the price is wrong and one gets a regrets E-mail that the price has increased with a coupon to use later. Again, audit carefully.

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

From now on, I'll probably be picking up my new releases from Best Buy. It's only a few dollars more, and it sure beats the Amazon waiting game. I had ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD pre-ordered with overnight shipping, and as of 3 PM yesterday, it still hadn't shipped. For a buck and a half more, I have it sitting in front of me right now(and I checked some of it out last night, it looks AMAZING).

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I did the same thing Larry. I'd preordered Robin Hood and T3. As of yesterday Amazon had not shipped them and was projecting a delivery between 10/3 and 10/6. Not acceptable. Even though I had to ask a salesperson to dig them out of the back room, I was able to score both releases at Best Buy for $19.95 each. Amazon's service has been extremely disappointing regarding HD-DVD titles. I'm just not willing to sit through a delivery window that stretches well into the week after release when I can get titles I'm really looking forward to for a couple of extra dollars. I feel that Amazon is kind of suckering people into ordering HD-DVD from them with the 10% discount program and giving them shoddy service as a reward. I hope they shape up soon.

BTW, I watched RH last night and it is indeed amazing. A significant improvement over the SD DVD release. I felt like I was in a private screening room at WB watching projected film. Beautiful!

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    You are right Larry but here's the issue with me....Indeed, amazon has been slow of late on new releases and they still don't have some of Paramounts early ones like Italian Job, We Were Soldiers etc....(titles I WANT)....but $17.95 shipped is better than 24.99 plus tax and it does add up if you buy alot.

But you're right, there are some titles I want it THE VERY day it's released. Already pre-ordered Batman Begins for Oct. 10 but may have to buy locally for Superman Returns! [​IMG]

10. Larry Sutliff

Definitely. There are titles I don't mind waiting for, and I'll buy them from Amazon. But when it's something I really want, I'll pay the extra buck or two. I'll probably grab BATMAN BEGINS and SUPERMAN RETURNS from Best Buy(though I'm keeping BB on pre-order in case there is a shortage. This title is going to be massive).

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Guess I'm a little spoiled....but you all remember the days back in early '99 and maybe even 2000 when Reel.com was HUGE. Unreal prices and weekly promo coupons to get new dvd releases for about $11.99 shipped?! Of course, Reel.com has a new home just above the Titanic's parking spot. [​IMG]

They did ship new releases out the Friday before Tuesday as I always got them either the day before or that Tuesday. Ah, the days of yesteryear [​IMG]

12. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

All HD fans should be please to find an HD title at the 50th ranking,
    no matter which format it is. Just bodes well for HD in general.

To the OP,
    The first BD title on your seemingly top twenty HD list, should be listed at 39 not 11, as you state after the list there are 38 HD DVD titles above it. A look at the list only, gives the perception that BD is not nearly as far behind as it truly is, on Amazon, at the moment.

With ALL the trouble I've heard about Amazon & HD DVD titles on two forums, it's amazing to me ANY HD titles are in the top 2000.

Thanks for the update.

13. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

I just surfed amazon.com ........

present positions...

batman begins #112
    T3 # 295
    Corpse bride #640
    Charlie #712

I just have a time to check these few HD-DVD titles.....
    it's jumping around every day......

Marek

14. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

I wonder how many people that are buying "HD-DVD" don't understand that you need a special player to view them?

Sounds silly to people that frequent these forums, I know, but I bet it happens...

15. Larry Sutliff

When I order SD DVD's from DVD Empire, I still get them the day before the actual street date because I live in such close proximity to their facilities. But they are just as slow as every other online retailer when it comes to HD DVD.

16. ppltd

ppltd Producer

This will be a very interesting Holiday season to watch. So many questions, so many unknowns, so little time[​IMG] .

Will the PS3 delivery the blow to HD-DVD they are hoping for?
    Will Sony be able to deliver the quantity they promised?
    Will the (then) 10,000,000 projected 360 owners buy the HD-DVD add on?
    Will MS have enough HD add on's in time to make a difference?
    Will the studios actually get their act together and get the system sellers out?
    Will Pioneer and Sony actually get their players on the market?
    Will Toshiba release their second generation machines?
    Will any of the exclusive studios jump ship?

It is going to be fun watching. And if we get bored of the numbers, it will be fun watching .. a High Def movie.

Thomas Eisenmann

17. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

yeah Thomas [​IMG] it will be amazing those coming months [​IMG]
    btw. where are they want to have 10mil. projected 360 owners ? any link ?

marek

18. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I have it on my home computer. If I get the time tonight, I will link it to my post. The numbers were recent projections from MS. I don't recall if the projection was for the end of the year, or the end of MS fiscal, which would be the end of March.

Thomas Eisenmann

19. James St

James St Supporting Actor

MS has projected 10 million units shipped (not sold) through the end of the 2006 calendar year.

20. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Correct. But with confirmed sales numbers of 5,000,000 at the end of MS fiscal, and the hoilday season approaching, the 10,000,000 of their projection is probably not far off. Add to that the shortage that Sony will most likely have with the PS3, and MS might have a very good present this year.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13296

Thomas Eisenmann