1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

hd tv tuner card recommendations

Discussion in 'Computers' started by TweakGames, Aug 21, 2006.

1. TweakGames

TweakGames Extra

Hello all, I am stuck, I just bought my z-5500 speakers and now im looking for a HD tv tuner card so I can watch TV on my computer. Im pretty sure there here in pullman (WSU satalite TV) that there arnt (read if any) HD channels, but im quite sure that a HD card would be better in general right? I dont need anything special, no dual channel or anything, just needs a remote, and .... HD TV tuner so that I can watch TV on my computer (soon to be projector :0) )

thanks.

I was thinking ATI TV Wonder Elite, but im not sure its HD, sounds like it, the reviews say it looks REALLY good. (and it has a remote :0) )

2. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

3. TweakGames

TweakGames Extra

hmmmm the HDTV one looks like its software powered, witch I guess iz bad... and im not sure the ATI all in wonder is HD...

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm happy with my MyHD MDP-130. You probably can't get HD channels from your satellite feed, but you can get the OTA (over-the-air) HD channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW) by purchasing an antenna. Since you're getting the university feed, I'm guessing you live in a dorm, so you'll have to use an indoor antenna. One of the best indoor antennas is the Silver Sensor, which is what I use. You should know that you can only watch OTA (over-the-air) HD channels with any computer-based HD tuner.

5. TweakGames

TweakGames Extra

Just to clerify, You say that I can ONYL watch OTA HD channels with any computer based hd tuner, does that mean that even if my satalite picked up HD that I wouldnt be able to watch it on any computer based HD tuner?

Does the super bowl go on OTA HD?

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

If your satellite picked up HD, you can only watch channels available OTA, because their signals are being sent unencrypted. Channels like ESPN HD and HBO HD are encrypted and no HDTV tuner can receive those channels. The Super Bowl has always been broadcast on an OTA channel, so you'll be able to watch it and most other football games, since CBS, NBC, and FOX carry most of the games.

7. TweakGames

TweakGames Extra

THAT is the info I needed to know. Thanks so much, then all I need is a good HD tuner, nothing special. Just has to have a remote. Isnt it kinda weird to have HD over the air though? You would think that since it isnt wired it would look just like HD from loss of signal... ?

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

What do you mean?

9. TweakGames

TweakGames Extra

Like a OTA HD signal cant be as good as a wired HD signal.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

An OTA HD signal should never be worse than a wired HD signal. HD signals usually aren't as good via wire because the cable or satellite company can compress the signal to cut down on bandwidth costs. I think that's how it works, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.