HD TV and Surround System

Raider81

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Newbie here!!

I recently purchased a Samsung 56inch DLP 1080i

My question is on how to hook up and what cables to buy for my equiptment?

1. What cables do I get to hook up the TV to the HD box(direct tv)

2. What cables do I use(purchase) to hook up the TV to my Receiver(Sony STR DA 1E5)

3. Do I ned to run cables from my receiver to my HD box???

Subwoofer question:

My theater room is 15x 10 (basement). I currently have a Boston Accoustics pv500 subwooferhttp://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_...&category_id=6. It seems to not have the BIG BOOM type effect when watching movies ie.. explosions and such?? Is the Sub to small for the room or are my settings wrong???

PS. I'm not into professional installation. I enjoy learning and doing the hook-ups on my own

Thanks for the help

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
1. What cables do I get to hook up the TV to the HD box(direct tv)

Most likely an HDMI if your Directv has it. If not, component viedo. Also, you will hook up the DirectTV (OUT) to the TV (IN). Very simply, look at the back of your DirecTV box. Look for HDMI. If you see it, buy an HDMI cable. Plug one end into the DirecTV HDMI and the other end to the HDMI Video INPUT 1 on the back of your TV. Your all set!

2. What cables do I use(purchase) to hook up the TV to my Receiver(Sony STR DA 1E5)

no need to hook up you receiver to you TV unless (1) your reciever has a setup menu you can view on your TV, in which case you can just use a composite cable, or (2) If you are going to be using any video "switching." If you are going to switch video components (DVD, directv box, etc...) through your reciever, you would hook up HDMI or component from (OUT) Directv box to (IN) Reciever, (OUT) DVD player (IN) receiver. Than you will hook up HDMI or component (OUT) reciever (IN) TV.

For a newbie, it may be easier to bypass on reciever switching for now and just go directly to the TV from the source. I would suggest doing this. Just hook up your DVD HDMI (OUT) to HDMI input 2 (your directv will be HDMI 1)on your TV (IN).

To watch direct TV, select video 1 on your TV.
To watch a DVD, select video 2 on your TV.

3. Do I ned to run cables from my receiver to my HD box???
YES!! this is where you will get your audio. You'll want to use an optical cable. DirecTV audio (OUT) to appropriate input on reciever (IN).

not sure on the sub.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The sub is very under powered at 85 Watts. Plus it's down firing... so if your on carpet there goes a little more..

I would suggest going to a front firing sub with at least 400-500 watts.

Something like the XB4 or higher model if you want to stay with boston.

Raider81

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Corona13,

Thank you very much!!

Heres what I did.

Please let me know if this is ok.(or you would do differently It seems to work really good.

1. Hooked the HDMI from my HD box to the TV's HDMI # 1 slot

2.I then hooked the Component cable from the TV to my DVD player(should I use the Component jacks on the HD receiver instead of the one on the TV, or does it matter?)

3. I ran an optical from my receiver to the TV(should I use the optical on the back of the HD receiver instead? Or does this matter?

4. I ran a coaxial from my receiver to my DVD player.

PS. I also use one of those monster cable surge protectors to hook all my components too.

I really appreciate your help and input!

Raider81

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

Darn, I figured as much
I did put the sub on a piece of wood(it was on the carpet, like you said) It did seem to help. I bought the Sub last year and now realize I need a better one with more power and front fireing

Thanks for the reply

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
your close.

step 1 is right
step 2 is right. do not hook up the component to the receiver. This is for video switching.
step 3 is wrong. hook up the opitcal from the video source( DVD and BOX) to the reciver. No need to go to the TV. your question is correct, you should go from the Box to the receiver for TV sound. This will make a HUGE difference. It seems like you are taking the TVs audio and routing it to your reciever. You want to take the audio signal directly fromt the srouce (DVD and Box) and route it into the receiver. Bypass the TV all together. The only cables going to and from the TV should be Video. NO AUDIO CABLES TO AND FROM TV. Look at it this way. Your TV is your "Video," therefore you want to send all video signals to that. Your Receiver is your "Audio," therefore you want to send all audio signal to that.
step 4 is right.

Also, I am more thah happy to help out, but yor TVs manual will explain it much better than me and I am sure there will be diagrams was well.

Raider81

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

Thanks! I agree with going to the manual, I tend to be a rebel at stuff like that, lol.

I put the optical from my HD box to the receiver instead of running it from the TV. It works much better!! Thanks for the advise

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davefromlondon