What's new

HD TV and HD-DVD. Will they use something better than Component? (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I'm wondering, is Component the best quality connection to a CRT television?

I've noticed on a new Sony HD TV recently a 'HD/VD input'.

What is that, and is it better than component?

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The two digital inputs now showing up on displays and DVD players are DVI and HDMI. And the nice thing is that these are digital inputs/outputs, keeping all the source material, therefore, in the digital domain. And the resulting picture is, if only slightly, better.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
In fact, Hollywood has gone to great pains to make certain that component outputs - and all analog outputs for that matter - will be disabled when viewing HD sources.

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
Actually there are three types of DVI connections and 2 HDMI connections. Follow this link for some info on DVI (forum sponsor) http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm

As for HDMI, it supports digital RGB and digital component video (YCbCr), as well as 8 channels of audio in one connector. There are two types A (19 pins) & B (29 pins).

You can use an adaptor or a DVI to HDMI cable with no problem, the only issue is DVI will only provide video source and no audio. I think differences in both are the lengh of the cable you can use without losing picture quality. If I'm not mistaken, HDMI can go to longer lengths without losing PQ.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
In an article by Brian Weatherhead over at Secrets he stated, At CEDIA 2004, new DVD players and projectors had HDMI, but no DVI, which means DVI is just about gone after only one year on the market.

Looks to me DVI is out and HDMI will be the only game in town.

Buy the way, what the hell happened to firewire, wasn't that supposed to be the be-all to end-all in inter-connects?

Here's the complete article mentioned above: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-11-2004.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks