What's new

HD to my computer monitor? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Can I run my standalone OTA HD tuner (VGA out)to my computer monitor and have it sync to 720p or 1080i?

Wes

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Yes, with a Sony GDM-FW900 (24" 16:10 widescreen CRT) and it's awesome; HD in its full 1080 glory. I've never tried it with a 4:3 monitor though. It should sync, but I guess it depends on whether the monitor will squeeze the picture down enough so that it is the right aspect ratio.

One other thing: the gamma curve for a monitor is different than a TV. Greys go to black faster, so I would say that the picture is just a little darker overall, and if the scene is primarily shadow, it's pretty dark. This is mostly a problem with shows filmed like The X-Files, i.e. mostly dramas. Sports, sitcoms, shows set in Hawaii: no problem.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
This is very monitor dependent as it would sync differently to the signals. I have an old SUN, sgi and Sony that all sync perfectly to 1035i, 1080i and 720p via RGBHV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks