What's new

HD Tivo??? (1 Viewer)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Not a likely event in the near future Paul. There is simply too much red tape in the way. Hollywood does NOT want you to copy high definition. Regards.

MikeM

Screenwriter
You mean a DTivo with the ability to view HD material, or one that can record HD material?
If you're looking for one that can record HD material, with a decent amount of recording capacity, and at a low price, it'll be ages. They have them in Japan, (not TiVo brand, but HDTV PVRs) but they are in the $2k range , and I believe the maximum recording time in HD was about 2 hours. HDs can't keep up with the file size requirements at this point.
I'd like one that is a combo DirectTV HDTV Viewer *and* a TiVo (even if it can't record) all rolled into one.
That would alleviate the cost of having to buy a separate HDTV decoder/receiver and additional $5/mo DirecTV costs.

According to this month's "Sound and Vision" a Tivo rep said they expect to have HD recordable boxes by late 2003. There was no mention of price or hard drive size.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
A dealer showed me dealer literature that had a hi-def Tivo in it but it's not available yet. I wonder about capacity and I suspect it proably won't do 1080i or if it did the time might be pretty short...? This proably falls into the category of stuff that "they" want down-rez'ed....Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks