hd technical problems or just bad engineers?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy Swenson, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

wasnt sure where to put this, so i put it here because it is sort of a source,
    i have had alot of problems lately with mainly one channel, WB, i like to watch smallville on it and the last couple shows were in standard def. someone here said they probably just forgot to switch it to the high def feed, then watching wb a couple days ago there was no sound at all, then on smallville last night it was high def, great picture, but the voice didnt sync up with the lips, not until maybe 5 minutes to go,

is this just something we have to deal with or is it shoddy work on the part of the tv company? my wife has been completly turned off from HDtv because of this stuff, she would much rather watch it in the other room on our analog 36 inch that on my lcd 50inch, and she show no sign of wanting to deal with this crap

i tried emailing the company several times, tried calling them but could only leave a message , the local station is kmwb , on kmwb23.com you can message them but they dont seem to respond , i get my channels from the twin cities area, minnesota

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Unless you get your HD OTA, the station is probably not at fault. If you get it from cable, try calling the cable company support when a show is not broadcast in HD when it should. Cable companies have to "flip a switch" at the head end to the turn on an HD broadcast. I've done this a few times and most of the time the cable company is already aware of the problem and it is fixed a few minutes later.

3. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

i get it over the air, this happened with my old stb and the new one i got two days ago

4. John S

John S Producer

I'll tell you, I am getting sick and more than a little turned off too. Our local CBS affiliate has been having massive problems with 5.1 CSI (probably other stuff too), but I emailed our local last night with a nasty letter, as the problem basically makes the program unwatchable, I told them either fix it or don't do it, as the commercials during the program are just fine, but drop back to 2.0...

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

In many cities, OTA Digital Broadcasting (which includes HD)is a work in progress.

In my city, we are getting HD from ALL of the majors, plus PBS and the WB, but on occasion, we will have a station that literally forgets to "throw the switch" to actually send out HD, all manner of audio issues, stations that go AWOL for days at a time.....

I actually have e-mail addresses for the chief engineers at 3 of my affiliates, and have had to use them to report issues. They have all been very receptive, as they are somewhat new at this as well.

I would call the stations you are having issues with, and ask for engineering. Its in everyone's best interest that these problems are reported.

Now, I will also say that receiving a decent digital signal can be tricky. I get solid lock on all my locals save for one, which appears to be related to a severe multipath issue I have with that station. I am the same distance from all of the antennas, but I can't get squat from my NBC affiliate (I run an attic mount CM 4221 antenna).

I have tried attenuators, different antennas, different orientation, but my attic location is just unable to lock on NBC.

Like I said, its all a work in progress.

BGL

6. John S

John S Producer

OK, some kudos are in order for my local CBS affiliate.

I complained about their 5.1 CSI audio issues with a link from their website to a specific section called HDTV ISSUES AND SIGNAL PROBLEMS.

I got a replay back before CSI started last night, with a what I was told was a secret phone number which went right to the guys that could actually do something about this.

I called, they asnwered, I told him specifically what the issue was and within a few minutes, it was fixed!!!!

I was pretty impressed by this really.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

John,

That has been my experience here in Albuquerque as well. When I had a Samsung box, there was an issue where I would loose signal every few months. There was some sort of device at the station that would literally need to be rebooted to restore my signal.

The station engineer was only too glad to help, and actually put a procedure in place where they would boot it weekly just to be sure! I think that problem has now been fixed with a SW update to the device in question, but still, it points to the fact that this is all new to many stations.

BGL

8. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Brian, John, join the club. The local CBS affiliate here in San Diego, via Cox cable completely dropped "CSI" to a blank screen last night. They fixed it for about 15 minutes and then lost it again. I called Cox and they immediately said they knew about it and pointed the finger at the local station. Lovely.[​IMG]