HD STB to ReplayTV 3030 to HDTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by bobScho, Sep 23, 2004.

1. bobScho

bobScho Auditioning

Just got a new Panny PT-50LC14 HDTV and cable guy (Comcast) is coming today to install HD STB. Install will be with Component cable. Since my RPTV 3030 does not have Component inputs or outputs will I be able to keep the 3030 in my setup and still retain HD capabilities while watching HD programs? I understand that recording in HD will not be possible.
    I'd hate to give up RTV to watch HD and vice versa. Any workarounds other than upgrading to a new RPTV?

Thanks...Bob

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

No. You have to bypass it to watch it in HD, live, or you can watch recorded/buffered in downconverted SD.

Replay doesn't have anything HD-related announced yet. Comcast may be rolling out HD-DVR in your area, go over to avsforum & check the local HDTV reception section for postings about your area. The alternative is switching to DirecTV & the HD-Tivo, but that's quite expensive at $900.

3. bobScho

bobScho Auditioning

Thanks Stephen,

I've been trying for the past 5 hours and can't figure out the proper cableing. Everything else works ok (DVD Player, VCR, Cable Box,TV, Receiver). Any suggestions on how to set up the ReplayTV 3030 so I can utilize it's non HD functions?

Thanks...

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

You could go any of about 3 different ways.

1. Set up to record analog only, straight off the cable. You'd connect cable straight to the back of the Replay. HD cable box would be running off a different split from the wall. Advantage is that they operate independently, you can record something on Replay while watching a different show live in HD. Disadvantage is you can't record from any digital channel.

2. Record from the HD cable box. Run S-video/audio into the Replay AV inputs. From cable box run separate lines for component video straight to TV, and digital audio straight to audio receiver. You'd utilize those inputs when watching HD live. This way you can record digital channels, but you wouldn't be able to record a different program while watching HD.

3. Get a 2nd cable box just for the Replay.

I don't know if Replay's software is advanced enough yet to combine 1/2, I haven't had experience on a recent version. Ideally it would be able to get analog off of its own tuner & go to the box only for digital. But I kind of doubt that it can.