HD source material?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by RobP, Jan 23, 2005.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

My brother asked me an interesting question today that I will relate to you because I don't know the answer. His daughter was watching the DVD Alladin in 480P. It just so happened that that same movie was brodcast over HDtv that evening and he said the picture was MUCH better than his dvd. This could be expected as it is HD vs ED. But what got us both is what source material are the broadcasters using? Why are they able to broadcast movies in true HD but the best the DVD can produce, and which is available to us, is ED?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's the limitation of DVD's video resolution (720x480p) vs. HD (1920x1080i or 1280x720p). This explains the interest in the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format war that's going on, and you can read about it here. Further discussion of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray should go that that thread.

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

No, I understand the limitations of DVD as well as the benefits of the blu-ray technology. To be more clear, what equipment and source material are the HD broadcasters using to broadcast movies in High Def? Where did they get a copy of Alladin in a High Def source? Do they have Blue Ray version of Alladin? Or is their some other technology they use?

4. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

They record it to tape, when the networks send it to them via sat. Most common right now just a D5HD deck for the sourece and recorder. Sometime recorded on harddrive. I've even seen them record on DVHS/WVHS before, but that was ages ago. depends on the local station and the equipment they have.