HD Signal Strength: 94 ! Why the bad picture?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Seals, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

*RCA DirecTV HD Receiver
    *Sony KV-34XBR800
    *VGA Breakout to Component Cable (from Projection Systems)

In the mail today came my VGA Breakout to Component Cable. So FINALLY I can watch OTA HD programs through my RCA DirecTV HD receiver (the HD receiver does not have component outputs, only the 15 pin VGA output).

So after hooking it up and going through the DirecTV setup menus, I finally got a picture, but the picture is wavy. VERY WAVY. I checked the antenna signal, and it teetered between 94-88. I moved my rabbit ears antenna around and improved it a bit, but it's still unwatchable. Next I hooked up an analog signal through a composite cable, and the picture is fine (not HD of course).

Do I have the correct cable?
    Do I need some sort of converter box instead?

I really REALLY hope I have the correct cable because I don't want to miss March Madness in HDTV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Donnie,

In my experience poor reception of digital channels results in picture blockiness, pixellation, sound and picture freezeup-not waviness, so I don't think your problem is poor reception. I have experienced the blockiness, pixellation, dropouts even with a 90+ signal strength due to multipath or problems between the network and my local station, but never anything I'd describe as waviness.

I know this isn't much help to you, and I have no experience with the VGA to component cable setup as my Tosh receiver has component outputs, but waviness sounds like a problem in the analog signal from the box to the tv rather than a problem with digital signal reception.

Hopefully other dtc-100 owners will post and perhaps be able to help more.

3. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Steve, I think you're right. Most of the low signals I've seen on HD on other receivers and sets have been blockiness and not waviness (don't I sound technically correct tonight). More and more I'm thinking it's the cable. I'm going to call Projection Systems tomorrow and see what they suggest.

4. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Donnie,

As far as I can tell, the cable that you got won't work for your application. The XBR800 requires component video to be in the form of Y Pb Pr signals, while a VGA breakout cable will have RGB signals. You need a VGA to component converter, like the Audio Authority 9A60.

http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon.../9a60detc.html

5. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

Donnie,

you don't have a right cable, you need a VGA to component coverter.

6. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Cameron / Tan....thanks.