What's new

HD Signal Question - Too close to antennas? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_DS

Auditioning
Before I buy the RCA DTC100, can anyone tell me if it's possible to be too close to the Antennas that broadcast HDTV? I live within 1/2 mile of many of the broadcast antennas (Needham Heights, MA) and was told by someone that the HD signals cannot be picked up in my location because I'm too close...
I would think that being close would be a GOOD thing!
Thanks,
Jeff

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Jeff:
You CAN be too close. You should go to www.avsforum.com to the HDTV hardware section and do a search on "The Boston Tower." There is a tremendous amount of information there about the tower, and some people who live in your area are having problems with reception. The problem is that if you live very close with a very strong signal, there will be a lot of very strong multipath distortion. This is the root of the problem. In those cases a very directional antenna helps. If you search that thread you will see what others are using for their antennas. In particular, Bob Hess, who is the head engineer for WBZ, can give you some help as well.
Good luck.
SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks