What's new

HD Set Top Box (1 Viewer)

JordanM

Agent
Does anyone got a suggestion for buying an HD STB now? Dish is coming out with a HD PVR box with OTA and Satellite supposedly in Q2 '03 - anyone have more recent news on this since CES '03?

Or should I buy an OTA/DirecTV box instead? Thanks for the help!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HD Tivo and HD DirecTiVo were also announced at CES with a Q4 release. Based on previous Dish models IF they hit the Q2 release date, the software will not be stable and all of the features will not be there.

-Robert

JordanM

Agent
Thanks Robert_J

As for as software goes for the Dish PVR921, I actually spoke with lead programmer at CES, and it was all done and operating there flawlessly out in the open. In fact, its Linux base is very stable and perfected and I saw some some other software goons try to throw it some curves, and it worked out (freezing and unfreezing the playing show repeatedly while recording two others, all in HD, one OTA, one HBO, one SHO). It was very impressive and the unit was highlighted well in the booth.
Compared to the DirecTV unit, which was hidden in the back of its booth, and not fully visible, it was so unreliable and flaky that rumors flew at the show that it was actually a hidden Blu Ray HD-DVD machine that was overheating and providing flaky performance - and it was flaky indeed.
Every one I talked to day 2 at the show at either booth would say this is typical of DirecTV/Dish - Dish is always ahead technologically. Also DirecTV's answer for the release date "by this time next year". Dish is firm in saying Q2 '03.
I don't know what to do, so I may sit and wait a little while, if no one makes a good suggestion. I can get OTA HD from my HTPC HiPix tuner, and my C-Band HD system gets me HBO and SHO east and west HD feeds. I'll probably add Discovery Theater HD soon, too for the $49/year fee.
I just thought to post to get suggestions for a new STB. Anyone have a great one that works so well you'd recommend it? I haven't heard a good comment on one from anyone I know that owns one.

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I would take Dish's assertion that the 921 will be out in 2Q 2003 with a giant grain of salt. The same product was shown at CES in 2002 for 2002 release and it continuously slipped to its current release date.

I'm certainly not saying that DirecTV is much, if any, better with regards to release dates. Their HD receivers have a storied history of being late.

Based on my experience with TiVo, I'm probably not going to bother with a HD DVR until the DirecTV/TiVo unit is released, even though it probably will be well into 2004 based on history.

If you haven't already, check out AVS Forum. There are several forums there dedicated to HD hardware and programming discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks