What's new

HD Screen Size??? (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I wasnt sure where to post this, so moderator, I apologize if it is not in the right spot, but basically, I have HD service on my HD TV, and ESPN often times has the picture cut off at the right and left of the screen, but it seems in the evening, the program is full screen HD. Does anyone have this problem, and if so, is there a way to have the programming come in everytime to fill the screen?..Sometimes the program is not in 5.1 either. My TNT HD channel is always in 5.1 and has the entire screen filled, so is it just a problem with ESPN?...thanks for any help anyone can give me

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
The ESPN feed that you are getting during the day is NOT in hi definition. They are sending a standard definition picture which is presented in 4:3 video format. That is why the sides of the screen are cut off. Also, the standard definition picture is in, at most, stereo so they would not be sending the audio in 5.1 either. In fact, some shows that are in HI Def, don't send a 5.1 signal either, some if not most send it in DD 2.0. The video feed you are getting at night on ESPNHD is in HI Def 16x9 format so the screen is filled on your widescreen TV. This is actually normal programming and there is really nothing you can do about it.:angry:

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
Why would they do this when other channels have their programming 5.1 and 16 x 9 all the time? Is espn ripping us off or what reasoning do they have for doing this. If i am paying for HD channes, i want HD channels.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I used to really complain about upconverted stuff on the HD Feed, until I compared some of them with their SD counter part feeds. The straight SD feeds are an amazingly big step down in performance. I no longer gripe about it.

It takes a lot more work to provide 5.1 on live stuff such as sporting events, so as of now HD Live is still reserved for what are deemed special/important events.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Jay, I hear ya man. Here in San Diego we get pretty good service on HD channels from Cox; however, it is far from perfect. Last night, while watching "CSI" the CBSHD feed just went blank. It came back on for about 15 minutes and then went totally blank again. I called Cox customer service and they explained to me that it was the local CBS affiliate station that was to blame for that. HD is still in its infancy as far as the local stations go. I have seen some pretty funny stuff coming from the local CBS affiliate station, KFMB channel 8 here in SD. One time right after "CSI:Miami" the local 11 PM news was coming up and instead of a commercial between broadcasts, the HD feed showed the news anchors sitting at the anchor desk preparting for the broadcast. They were sitting at their desk checking hair, makeup, ties, even doing cheek excercises by doing weird faces into the camera. It was obvious they didn't know they were on live on the HD feed!! This went on for several minutes; it was hilarious.:D

John S

Senior HTF Member
I've been having a problem with the 5.1 on CSI from my local affiliate.

I sent them a complaint via their website to a section called HDTV ISSUES AND SIGNAL PROBLEMS, I will be darned it before last nights CSI broadcast if I didn't get an email, with a supposedly secret phone number to the correct engineers that would be on staff during the CSO broadcast. Sure enough it was having the issue, I called, got a person, and within a few minutes they had it solved. I was blown away by this for sure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks