What's new

HD Satelite (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well I just jot Direct TV installed this past weekend and am wondering how good the HD is on DTV? How many people here have HD channel with Direct TV? And what is your opinion on the quality? I am hoping to get a projector and a 80" screen soon. This will be used to watch dvd movies and hd programing. As my current 31" tv is not progressive scan capible nor is it hd ready. I realize that some of the movies on HBO and Showtime are now in 5.1 Dolby Digital but that to me is a big so what. I am only interested in the higher quality picture as I really dont care for DD at all, thats all I will say about that LMAO. Anyway would appreciate your input on the picture quality of the Direct TV HD service. I would especially love to hear from someone that has DTV HD channels that is useing a projector.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, Direc's HD package of HD Net, HD Net Movies, Discovery HD Theater, and HD ESPN are where it's at for me. HD Net Movies are ALWAYS in aspect ratio, el correcto! I don't get Showtime HD but I do get HBO HD. HBO HD is a mixed bag. When it's good it's very good and when it's bad I get P'ed!

I got an HD Tivo 2 weeks ago. On the first day, on HD HBO, Star Trek: First Contact and the latest Stir Warz film were showing in the afternoon. So, I recorded both so I'd have somethin' to watch that evening. First Contact was beyond awesome!!! It was shown in correct aspect. Stir Warz is another story. It looked super-sharp but it was cropped to 1.77-1...:thumbsdown: I watched abot 25 minutes of it and deleted it. Every bleeding scene just looked wrong, wrong, wrong! That's all I could think about! So, I deleted it.

HD Net Movies are where I'm expending my hard drive mostly. Discovery HD often has intresting shows, watch for the one about the dinosaurs of Patagonia, South America, way down south a'ways. It's very fun eye candy. You could get an HD box and watch this stuff in 480i till your projector comes in. HD Net looks purr-dy good in 480i on my bedroom TV that has a squeez mode, about like a DVD.

If I had to pick between the HD Package and HBO HD, I'd pick the HD package. Both is better, of course! HBO just peeves me with cropping like on Road To Perdition, which I also deleted. If I didn't like Bill Mahr so much I'd proably drop HBO...? It does have some winners, films, though. That's about all I know...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks