HD Running in PIO in XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graeme Clark, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Jan 5, 2000
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this little problem, or at least give me an idea as to what is going on so I can figure it out somehow.

For some reason, my Harddrive will not run in DMA mode in XP. I still have ME on this system also, and appears to be running in DMA mode there. The only option within XP for the IDE controller is Auto Detect and PIO Only.

Checked the BIOS, and it is set to Auto there also, and both my CD Drives on IDE2 are running in DMA.

Now, I'm pretty good when it comes to computers, and can usually fix most problems that appear (format usually does the trick), but when it comes to HD settings and features (as well as all this new RAM) I'm one lost guy.

I've tried searching around on the net, but didn't come accross anything too helpful, and have just survived with slightly less than optimal perormance, but I got my TV Tuner back recently, and it keeps warning me about performance issues in this mode and magically figures out some way to drop over 400% of the frames when capturing sometimes.

Someone suggested to me that I update the drivers... but wasn't very specific which drivers those are (but then again he also suggested, very sarcasticly, that PIO was better).

I have an ABit BX6 v2 motherboard, Seagate ST328040A (28.6GB) Drive, running WindowsXP Pro.

Should I be looking at drivers, cables, settings, Bios upgrade, format?
  2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Jun 8, 2000

Go into the registry and see if you have this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetContro lClass{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}000reg_dwordEnableUDMA66value=1

If you don't, add it then reboot. Apparently XP is having troubles reporting DMA modes properly on some IDE controllers.
  3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Jan 24, 1999
    You just happened to know that key, eh??[​IMG]
    I'm having a similar problem, but with my DVD. It's stuck in PIO, but the CD-RW on the same secondary IDE channel is in UltraDMA.
    Under the key just below that, 0002:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lClass{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}002
    I noticed that for the DVD, the Master Device Timing Mode is 10 (Hex), and the Timing Mode Allowed is 1F. For the CD, it's 410 (Hex) and ffffffff, respectively.
    Will putting the CD values into the DVD spot fix the issue? I'm loath to just do it, but maybe I will when I get home.
    The drive is the Toshiba M1402 (10X DVD, circa 2000), and I don't recall any DMA issues with it in WinME.
  4. ThucN

ThucN Agent

Jan 17, 2001