HD rollout.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DmitryS, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DmitryS

DmitryS Auditioning

My question is about HD programming. Right now I have Direct TV which has about 8 HD channels, I also will connect the HD over the air antenna to get the local channels, however, is there a web-site that has rollout schedule for the HD programming? I know that new NGC channel will start broadcasting HD in January, are there any other ones?

2. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

HGTV (Q1) & FoodNet (Q2), based on a FoodNet studio tour I was on during the AES show in Oct. Both networks already have mandated that many of their third-party show suppliers deliver in HD in preparation for the new channels. (For example, "Good Eats" has a funky film-ish look this season, and it's apparently due to the HD-SD conversion it goes through.) Ironically, their in-house production plant is still strictly SD.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Alton Brown in HD? I can die happy now. [​IMG]

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

And I thought I was the only one dying to see Food Channel in HD[​IMG]

I have Time Warner and we only have about 10 or so HD channels - CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC,1 HBO,1 Show,1 Discovery and a couple others I dont remember because I never even watch them.

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

One thing you need to be aware is that DirecTV will plan to phase in MANY more HD channels over the new few years as their new satellites come online. This will allow DirecTV to offer HD broadcasts of local stations to many major metropolitan areas and expect many more cable channels to be available in HD versions; for example, note that a lot of the new programs on Discovery Channel, History Channel and several other cable channels are shown in letterboxed format, which means these channels are preparing for the switch to HD format within the next few years. [​IMG]

6. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

I think the people in areas with only one cable provider end up getting screwed here b/c they really have no choice if satellite isn't an option. They have to take what they get and pay out the wazzoo for it. Doesn't seem fair.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I live in Central Jersey. And my Directv gives me ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in HD without an off the air antenna. Plus Yes Network HD on occasion.

8. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

99% of the country only has cable provider available to them!

9. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

That's ridiculous to me. It really bothers me that some of the cable providers have monopolies in certain areas. People should at least have the right to choose.