HD Recording Options....?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Doh, Feb 1, 2004.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

I need some advice on options available to me to record some HD programming like sporting events, movies, etc. Finding the component that will work with my current configuration is my goal. I use Direct TV for my input signal. Here is my current component configuration...

Samsung DLP TV w/DVI & Component Inputs (Soon to buy!)
    Samsung SIR-TS160 HD Receiver (DVI & Component Outputs)
    HK AVR-230 Receiver

I have read a little about DVI carrying some sort of copy protection, is this true? Is component the only way to record HD material? Being I just paid $600 for this receiver, unless there is another receiver out there that has DVR built in and can accept OTA, NTSC and Satelitte signals, I'd have to stick with a separate recorder that interfaces with my current HD recevier. Thanks!!!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There are a lot of people who use a stand alone Tivo with an HD receiver.

-Robert

3. John Doh

Thanks for the reply Robert. So basically, all of these Tivo recorders will record HD media on their hard drives? If the HD receiver and Tivo don't interconnect using component cables, what is used? Thanks!

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The only Tivo that will record in HD is the upcoming Hughes HD-DVR250, an HD DirecTV/OTA ATSC/Tivo combination model. There is no interconnection between your existing receiver & this device; this model replaces your TS160. MSRP $999, available for preorder at $100 cheaper some places. Supposed to be here sometime in March.

The other option is to use a standard Tivo and record in downconverted SD, not HD, which would connect via S-video / stereo audio.

I'd really recommend you return the SIR-TS160 if you can, if recording in HD is important to you. There isn't likely to ever be any device that will ever record in HD off of that box. HD recorders as a rule will have integrated tuners built-in to them, or record via IEEE1394, which the Samsung doesn't have.

5. John Doh

Thanks for the reply. What about D-VHS decks? Do these record actual HD media on the D-VHS tapes? The only hang-up I have with the upcoming Tivo component is it doesn't decode NTSC for Cable TV. So what about the D-VHS option?

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

D-VHS decks record in HD, but require an IEEE1394 output to feed them. So they won't work with your existing hardware.

I don't see why you need NTSC - local OTA broadcasts should be available via ATSC. Cable channels are nearly all available via satellite. There are some channels available only by cable not sat, but they are few & far between. Which channel in particular do you absolutely need to record? You could always just record those with an old VCR if you had to, or watch live on your TV's cable tuner.

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

There's a closeout on some W-VHS (yeah, I'd never heard of it either!) decks over at the AVS Forum under their recorder section. It will record near HD quality (~1100x1000 resolution or so, they say) via the component inputs. People are using modified S-VHS tapes instead of W-VHS tapes to record with success. It's around $1000, but will let you record anything via the component inputs at excellent quality.

I'm getting a D-VHS deck to connect via firewire to the Moto 6200 cable box, myself.