HD Reception on Samsung 351

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ken_Smith, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Ken_Smith

Ken_Smith Auditioning

Question regarding the ota reception on Samsung T351: I just spent the weekend getting my Sony 42WE610 / Samsung T351 working with a couple of indoor antennas. I have 2 stations were I get a signal strength of 8 but yet have no picture. By switching to a different indoor antenna, the strength drops down to 6-7 and I start receiving a picture however with dropouts. Can you have too strong of a signal on a digital signal? Is there a way to keep the strong signal and still get a stable picture?

Thanks for your help!

2. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

bump?

3. John S

John S Producer

I don't think you have to high of a signal. Just a quirk that it gives you a signal strength of 8 and no picture.

Just keep playing with your placement, I think you will get it all stable eventually.

PS: Reflections can cause exactly this phenom. You would get good strength, but the digital cannot be extracted.

4. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John. I bumped this because I've just gotten myself the same HDTV tuner and I'm having similar problems. I was curious as to whether it was due to antenna location or a quirk of the Sammy 351.

5. John S

John S Producer

I'd keep try'n with the placement.

I did in the end go with the Zenith HDV-420 because many listed it as having better sensativity than the Samsungs.

Many of the Samsung OTA owners, seem to indicate they had to absolutely go with an outdoor antenna for good performance.

Signal strength without a picture, almost always indicates seriosu reflections are beign recieved, and can be minimized through trial and error placement.

Took me weeks to find just that spot, where all 6 of my channels get receieved with some having only minor intermittent dropout issues.