What's new

HD reception comes and goes (1 Viewer)

Rick A.

Auditioning
I don't watch a lot of HD OTA TV with my setup, but during the superbowl I had it hooked up, of course. The reception kept going out but only for a second and then would come back on for a minute or two then off for a second, just enough to really make it annoying. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Your antenna may not be big enough.
2. Your antenna may not be the correct type (UHF, VHF or both)
3. Your directional antenna may be pointed in the wrong direction.
4. Multi-path. Your signal may be bouncing of large objects (buildings, water towers, etc.) near your antenna.
5. Your reciever (if you have one) may be over-heating.
6. Your broadcaster may not be at full power.
7. You have a bad cable between the antenna and your tuner.
8. You may be using a Terk antenna.

There could be many more problem areas. Tackle each thing one at a time. Start by going to
AntennaWeb to make sure you have the correct size and type of antenna. You will also see the direction to point your antenna.

-Robert

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And there were lots of problems during the Super Bowl and many major cities were flooded with 'problem' calls. Of course the National feed said it was the Local channel
and the Local said it was a National feed problem (Atlanta and Chicago seemed particularly bad). With multiple cities reporting similar difficulties with the HD broadcast, I can't help but think the National CBS feed was messed up. Too bad that the premier "sell HDTV to the Public" event of the year messed up so badly.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that same. Of course, there were only two or three HD cameras there, so some shots were in a lower signal and then upconverted, which made them look crappy. However, I did notice some blurring and then it would sharpen up a few seconds later.

I was using Dish with an HD feed from a New York CBS HD station. No idea what the problem was.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The HD broadcast was respectable here in Denver.

Not perfect, but I'd give it a "B" for a grade if I had to grade it.

I have to say I thought most of their other HD NFL broadcasts this past season were better.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Any problems on the network end would show up on all local stations throughout the country. Since most of the problems were reported in some areas and not others, it follows that the problems were either at the affilliate level or in the viewer's equipment. Simple logic.

The HD broadcast was damn near flawless here in Fresno, kudos to Mike Snyder and the engineering crew at KGPE-DT! There was some audio stutter during the halftime show that has been reported by viewers thruoghout the country--these were obviously in the original network feed and beyond the control of local affilliates.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most people's feeds, did note the artifacts present on the one camera, during many of the sideline shots, in addition to the slightly choppy audio during the halftime show. Although one person in attendence told me it was a little choppy even in person.

I'd give CBS a "B".... I had a house full, everybody seemed to really enjoy it, and even stayed focused on the game the entire time.

My system sure seemed to be getting actual DD EX ques, so 6.1 and 7.1 paid some dividends, something I have not noticed as much on previous CBS NFL HD persentations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks