What's new

hd receiver (1 Viewer)

Bill.Daily

Auditioning
Is it worth it for me to get adelphia's (my digital cable provider) hd receiver if it will only give me 3 HD channels? will other channels come through better than a normal box as well? (apologies, as i'm sure this has been asked before)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I was in the same boat here in the Denver area....
But we had more than 3 that's for sure.
I also had an OTA Tuner, and every time I would have sub par performance on the big networks stuff with the cable, I'd switch over to the OTA and no problems. That combined with the fact they never got ABC going at all. Well I dumped cable, and I don't like any of the alternatives. I have gone to just using the money to buy media. I seem more satisfied now with what I get for the money anyways.

The problem is really the more HD I watched, the more I couldn't stand SD, so I put zero value on anything that wasn't HD.

Best of luck with your choice of HD source.

Tim K

Second Unit
No, your Std def channels will not look better, they are still the same resolution as before. As a matter of fact, many people with Comcast HD service have complained that their SD channels actually look wrose when they switch to the HD box. I haven't seen that myself though.

I think the real answer depends on the plans of your provider. When and what do they plan on offering in the future? Comcast offers ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, WB, Discovery, INHD, INHD2, Comcast Sportsnet, ESPN, and HBO/SHO/MAX/STARZ if you subscribe to them. To me, 10 channels are worth the $6/mo extra. It also depends on what you watch. If you watch alot of primetime network TV (8pm-11pm) then it may be worth it since just about everything is HD now.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When asking questions about a specific A/V source component, please post in the area designated for such. Thanks.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It might depend on what box they provide. Adelphia in my area uses the Motorola 6200 STB and through the DVI connection my SD channels improved....somewhat. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks