What's new

HD Receiver and DirecTivo (1 Viewer)

Todd Henry

Second Unit
I currently have a DirecTivo connected to a 32" TV, but I am planning on getting a 42" HDTV projection TV.

I know that I need to get a DirecTV HD receiver and Antenna for the local OTA, but I would like to still TIVO standard definition programming from the Dish and have a second TV with a regular receiver. I have a 2 x 8 multiswitch already. How would i run the cables, since I think for HD from DirecTV has 3 cables. Does one of the cables run directly into the HD Receiver and the other two work like before with the multiswitch with 2 cables into the multiswitch and the 2 into the Tivo and 1 into the other TV.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on how to run the cables from the back of my house to the front where the TV will be located without running along the floor boards or ripping up the floor, ceiling or walls.

Thanks
Todd

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will need a multi-sat dish to get HD via satellite. One coax goes to the HD receiver, two go to the DirecTivo and one to the standard receiver. If you add any more receivers, you will need a 5x8 cascadable switch. You can use your 2x8 with a multi-sat dish but all 8 of the outputs will only carry the 101 satellite. It may be OK with you but I like the few extra channels from the 119 satellite location. Don't forget about running another cable for the antenna.

It really depends on your house. I have access most walls in my house via the attic so everyting is dropped inside the wall. An installer would run the cables on the outside and punch through a wall.

-Robert

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I strongly recommend waiting for the HD-DirecTivo, due in 2 months; don't buy a HD-DirecTV receiver now. Move your DirecTivo to 2nd TV and don't bother with any regular receivers. The multi-sat dish has a built-in 4 output multiswitch, just enough to run 2 lines to the HD-DirecTivo, 2 lines to the DirecTivo in the other room. The HD model also needs an OTA antenna feed, I think you can diplex it on one of the sat lines but am still a bit fuzzy on the details.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Diplexing isn't hard but it will knock your signal strength on OTA down a few points. It doesn't hurt most people but if Todd is in a fringe reception area, it may make a big difference. Also, I've read about tons of problems when the diplexer goes bad. Screws up the satellite reception also. If you're running more coax, just run another one for the antenna.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks