What's new

HD Rear Projection TV What Brand Would You Get? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been looking into HD ready front and rear projector models. As far as a rear projection hd tv what brands would you feel would provide the best performance? I am looking at Pioneer, Mitsubishi and Toshiba. What ever I end up with it needs to be a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio. Is there one brand that has features that would place it above the rest? Video performance is the only thing that matters because audio will be handled by the HT system. Also wondering what brand has the best comb filter and line doubler. I think to start out I will limit the cost to $3500. My budget range is $1700 - $3500. I would like to have a 60" - 65" screen. I would like to get everyones opinions on this :) .

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Dave,

You might want to look into one of the new rear projection displays using the Texas Intruments DLP technology. I believe Samsung and 1-2 other companines may have them out too. These RPTV's are very light (~100-150lbs) and much thinner than regular (CRT based) rear projection displays. No tube burn-in to worry about and no convergence ever required. You might find the right balance in size versus budget too, as they are not outlandishly expensive.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Phil, I would also look into the DLP systems. The blacks aren't as good, but you avoid the possibility of burn-in, don't have to mess with convergence, and get a better, brighter picture from the sides (wider viewing angle). These sets are also an excellent match for the new Samsung DVD-H931 DVD player, the first consumer DVD player to support both progressive scan and 720p/1080i upconversion and scaling [all within the player] with DVI-CP output.

The Samsung 50" DLP ($2900-$3500) is about 17" deep and weighs about 80 lbs; they also have a 61" model ($3600-$4500) at about 18" deep. At CES, Samsung announced new DLP models, including 46" and 56" sizes (coming in April), which appear to use a newer version of the Farouja de-interlacer (2300) and a higher output bulb (120w vs 100w). I believe the new Samsung models will also use a black base, rather than the current silver.

Panasonic also recently unveiled its own second-generation 52" DLP model, but it lacks HDCP on the DVI input (you'll probably want DVI-CP to ensure future HD-DVD compatibility). At CES, Zenith also had a DLP set on display at the TI booth. The second-generation DLP technology does suffer from something called "rainbows" or the "rainbow effect," so you will need to see on in person to see if it bothers you (some people see it, others don't).

As for ultimate in performance, the Toshiba 57" 1920x1080p LCOS takes the crown, but at $7500-$8500, that model exceeds your given price range. The Toshiba is the only model on the market to offer full 1920x1080p resolution, whereas other DLP and LCD based models offer 1280x720, 1365x768, or less. For that extra 50% resolution on HDTV (and HD-DVD, when it comes out), you pay quite a premium. Update: It looks like the initial production run of the Toshiba set is already sold out...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks Ken & Phil

Was at CES and the only company I did not look into was Zenith. Have never like there tv's :thumbsdown: .

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Ken,

Thanks for the DLP models update. I have a comment and a question regarding DLP's:

I saw and add yesterday in a mag for a (2nd generation) DLP front projector that they advertised to have a contrast ratio of 2500!!! How is that possible??? Outstanding - if anywhere near the actual measurable value.

Do you know if/when any new rear projection DLP models will be using three of the 2nd generation DLP chips? This combination would provide both vastly improved contrast ratios and no whirling light wheel. (The whirling TWhich to me seems a bit of a kluge approach and really not the best situation for HT. Three DLP chips just like in the digital theaters is the way to go.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks