What's new

HD-Ready TV's (1 Viewer)

BryantJones

Auditioning
Hi guys :)

I'm looking into purchasing a low-end, widescreen HD-Ready television (Samsung's TXN2670WHF, inparticular) for use with my Xbox. I'm just a bit confused as to whether or not an HD-Ready TV can display 480p/1080i images in conjunction with the proper AV pack without having to buy one of those receiver things?

Also, if you could recommend a certain model, keeping in mind that I'm a poor college kid, or a store that has some fairly decent deals, that would be appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I suspect this will get moved to the TV forum soon, but I'll answer your first question - All HDTV's (ready or tuner built in) will display 480p/1080i. Some convert 1080i to 720p, but it still displays it.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would also check out the 26 inch Samsung model TXN2668 that Sears has for $599.99 People have gotten this model from Sears for as low as $539.99 Do a search on it because there should be plenty of info on this model. It might also help if you let us know what's the most that you can afford to spend.

BryantJones

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick replies :D

As far as my price range is concered, I would really like to keep it under $1000, but I don't know how realistic that is..

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
So what's the trick for getting Sears to drop their price? Do they haggle or does a person need to bring in something for them to price match to?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Look for when Sears is having a 10% off sale, 10% off if you use Sears Credit Card & etc. You won't be able to find a Price Match on the Samsung though because it's a model that Samsung makes just for Sears. For other models it never hurts to try & get them to Price Match because sometimes they will but they will also want to include the S&H if it's from an internet site. Bryant, if you can go $1,000 I would look at the 30 Inch Samsung Model TSN3084WHD Best Buy has on sale now for $999.99 It has a built in HDTV Tuner & a DVI Input. Do a search on it here because someone here bought one & was really impressed with it's performance.

BryantJones

Auditioning
Are there any differences between the exclusive Sears model and the TXN2670WHF? I think I've narrowed it down to those two, simply because the price is attractive and it's the perfect size for my room. But do you think it's worth the extra $50 to go for the TXN2670WHF? :-/

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I can't remember "all" the differences between the Sears model but if I remember right the Sears model din't have 3:2 pulldown. Do a search on it here though because there were posts asking the same question. I would probably spend the $50 more though. You might also want to reconsider the 30" Best Buy model for $999.99 (If it will fit?) because right now Best Buy has a no-intrest deal for 1 1/2 years on that set plus you can get free shipping & a $100 gift card & you end up with a slightly bigger set, the built in HDTV Decoder (That alone can cost you $300) plus it has the DVI Input so your set for the future & if your talking about the non Sears model at $650 your really only talking about $250 more with the Best Buy Gift Card for that set but I do know that sometimes $250 can be a lot of money but spread out over a year & a half how much more a month would you have to put away compared to the 26 inch set? Just something to think about & remember the choice you make now you'll be living with in the future ;)

BryantJones

Auditioning
This has to be the most helpful forum I've ever posted on :D

That Best Buy set is really tempting...Do you have any idea how long the sale is going to last for? :/

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I have no idea how long the sale runs but if you call or visit one of their local stores I'm sure they can tell you or try emailing them. I wouldn't wait too long on that set though because it has been selling for $1,299.99 (Amazon right now)& that's what the fellow on this forum said he paid for it & I noticed that Best Buy has the other 30 inch set for $999.99 too? Why you would buy that if you can get the one with the tuner in it for the same price God only knows. I also noticed when trying to compare the 30" sets on BB's website that it says the Labor Warranty on the TXN3084WHD is 1 year? So you might want to check on that because Samsung's other sets are only 90 days Labor. Also even though Samsung's website & Best Buy's website don't mention that it has a DVI Input it does. If you like the set I would go & talk to Best Buy & see what they have to say. For $1,000 I think this set is a great deal compared to the prices Sony, Toshiba & etc are getting for their 30" sets & they don't even come with the HDTV Tuner.

BryantJones

Auditioning
What exactly does an HD Tuner do, anyway? That's kind of what sparked this whole thread; I have no idea what it is :D

Bill Will

Screenwriter
It's a built-in tuner that allows you to tune in over the air HDTV Channels. So if you hooked up a Rabbit Ears Antenna to the set you would be able to receive your Local "High Definition" Television Channels like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, WB & etc. Most HDTV's on the market are HDTV "Monitors" where that Samsung model is a true HDTV Set. Just think of a Regular TV set without a Tuner in it or a Computer Monitor to get tv channels you would either have to buy a tuner or hookup a cable box or satellite box to get any tv programs. I also just noted that this set IS ONLY AVAILABLE "ON-LINE" from Best Buy & if you order one I would make sure it has the DVI Input on it because I understand some of first sets of this model din't have one but from what I also understand Best Buy's sets did have them BUT CHECK to be sure. The set also has an "Optical Digital Audio Output Jack" to hook to a receiver for Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound on HDTV Programs & that jack is usually found only on the seperate HDTV TUNER BOX or HDTV CABLE TV BOX or HDTV SATELLITE BOX. I would also check with Best Buy that if you bought it on the net from them that if you din't like it you could return it to ONE OF THEIR STORES because you don't want to have to pay to ship it back to them because that could get expensive with the weight of the set. Oh, it also receives "Regular" TV Channels & has 2 Seperate Antenna Inputs, 1 for the HDTV Tuner 1 for the Regular TV/CATV Tuner.

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
If you're getting the 27", get the Zenith one over the Samsung. I've done a ton of research and Zenith is much better and nobody had anything bad to say. If you're looking at 32", there is a Zenith C32V37 at BB for $1000. I found it online for $900-$140 instant rebate.
http://store.yahoo.com/saveandmake/directviewhdtv.html

Maybe someone can check how good this online store is. I'm planning on getting my Zenith C32V37 from there.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I agree with Dom, If you want a 4:3 HDTV take a look at those Zenith's they are nice sets but if you want a wide-screen I'd go with the 30" Samsung model with the built in HDTV Tuner. Dom, Best Buy also has that Zenith model for $999.99 & same deal as the Samsung above "Free Shipping" "1 1/2 Years To Pay" & "A $100 Gift Card" making the set $899.99

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks