HD-ready projection TV: advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo.M, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

First post to this board; appreciate in advance any help I can get.

I'm replacing a severely defective Philips 50-inch projection TV (non HD-ready), and I'm limited to Sears' inventory and a price range of $1500-2000. Among brands such as Hitachi, Toshiba, Samsung and Sony are there any general issues/preferences/things to be wary of? I've always liked my Samsung computer monitor, and have been pleasantly surprised with some of their TVs as well while window-shopping.

If there is already an existing thread on this subject, or a search I could do on this forum, I'd appreciate that info.

Thanks.

--AM

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Help! Any advice? Anyone?

Thanks,

AM

3. Jeff_Galvin

Jeff_Galvin Auditioning

I did a lot of shopping and research and became convinced that I could not get an RPTV in the $1500-2000 price range that would fill me with regret every time I looked at. The Sony KP-51W??? (don't remember exact model) was an acceptable picture, but an ugly piece of furniture for about $2500. I ended up spending twice that on Pioneer Elite 53 and it rocks and is a beautifully finished item of black furniture with a flat shelf top and sides I will had regrets on the Pioneer until I paid it off, I would have regrets on something else for as long as I owned it. I picked the shorter regret period. If I only had $2000, then I would get a Sony XBR or other good tube set. There's an opinion for you. I went shopping with the same budget you have, but this is not money you can justify - it is pure entertainment: get something that will entertain.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Jeff:

Thanks for your reply. My price range was simply my first stab but I've been prepared to spend $2000-2500. You're right; there are a lot of compromises at the lower price-point, and I have no intention of regretting the purchase. I paid $1700 for my Philips rear-projection set two years ago, and it has been unreliable and tremendously disappointing.

Thanks,

AM

5. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

hey Angelo,
    I would suggest you try not to get caught up in the, mine's bigger trap

it seems that your budget has room for an excellent quality hdready tv if picture quality instead of size is at the top of your priorities.

Best Buy's got a special this weekend on BIG Samsungs.
    But they are only 1000 lines of resolution. GOTTCHA if screen size/price is your priority.

Toshiba were one of the first and Panasonic and Hitachi have come a long way.

when i got mine 2 years ago i asked alot of questions and compared specs as well as what your doing right now in these forums.

good luck
    peter m.