What's new

hd question (1 Viewer)

Adam_mmm

Agent
I am about to purchase a new hd television. My question is, should I buy the tv with the hd tuner included? I have heard if you have the tuner with standard digital cable I will receive the hd stations, but that does not really matter because time warner cable will include the hd box in the original installation, hence in this situation I would not buy the tuner. However, if I purchase the tuner will I get hd channels with a standard direct tv (dish) feed. I have heard i will have to purchase a separate hd package and will not receive any hd channels, even with the tuner. I realize there are a few question but hope they can be answered. thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As with a good many simple questions, the answer in this case is, ‘it depends’.

It you are a cable user, and your cable company has HD service, you will get the cable box that will tune the cable HD channels as a part of their package (at least in most cases). However, many cable companies in many locations do not offer local stations HD channels even when they offer other HD channels (such as ESPN HD and HBOH). It this is the case in your area, you will need something to tune over-the-air (OTA), local HD stations. Most cable boxes won’t tune any OTA signals, so a set with an internal HD tuner would be helpful. Otherwise you will have to purchase an external, OTA tuner. But if your cable company offers all the local HD channels the cable companies box will take care of it all.

If you decide to use a satellite service you will need an external tuner regardless of what is included in your set. All of the DirecTV HD receivers will also tune OTA HD signals—and I think that this is true of Dish as well, but as I don’t subscribe, I’m not sure.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I went with one, that does not have the over the air (OTA) tuner, more becasue the actual tuners have come down in price so much so, it is cheaper to get one after the fact.

best of luck with your upgrade....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks