HD question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

This question was asked in some form a few weeks ago by someone else. I tried the solution offered there, but had mixed results.

My wife's PC at work crashed on her several months ago, and I wound up reformatting and reloading it for her. The machine had dual 40gb HD's in it (it's a Dell if it matters)and since the machine didn't have a CD burner on it (and it wasn't on a network) I removed the primary HD and set it as a slave in an identical Dell system at her work. I was able to back up her data, then I plugged the HD back into her machine and reformatted. The O/S would never completely take on that HD for some reason. I can't remember the exact errors I got, but I finally wound up loading the O/S on the spare HD. No problem.

I took the old HD home and put it in as a slave on my system, but since I've never been able to access it. It shows up in the Device Manager just fine, but Windows Explorer will not display it.

The previous post I mentioned said something about formatting the drive using Disk Management (using XP Pro). I found that utility and the drive shows up there, but the only thing I can do (by right clicking the drive) is show the properties of the drive, and convert it to a basic or dynamic disk.
    BTW, the drive only shows up in the bottom window of Disk Management. Not the top window where it shows the drive volume, layout, type, file system etc. Only my primary drive shows up there. In the bottom window the extra drive shows as Disk 1, Basic, 37.27GB, Online and Unallocated.

Is this drive just bad or is there something I'm missing here?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Two things spring to mind here Mike;

1. The drive could be faulty. After all, you did experience problems and ended up having to reinstall Windows onto a different hard drive.

2. The drive is OK, but because it's coming from a different machine the access permissions are preventing you from doing anything with it. I would have thought however, that if you're logged in as Administrator then you should at least be able to remove any existing partitions from that drive and apply new ones.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I have considered that, but the only thing that makes me think otherwise is that when the problem first cropped up and I needed to back the drive up, I was able to simply plug it into another system (an almost identical system) and I could read the drive just fine. I was able to drag all files I needed to the other machine as a back up. It seems logical that I should be able to do the same thing in my home PC.

If the drive were faulty, would the device manager show that the device was working properly? Seems that it could detect a flaw in the hardware. That it would at least say that the drive was not working properly.

In the drive management utility, is there anything special you have to do to be able to remove the partitions from the drive? I'm totally new to formatting a drive in this way.....guess I can pop in the XP CD and boot to it and see if I can format that way?

Anything else I can try? I'd love to take advantage of a free 40gb drive [​IMG]