HD PPV...does it exist ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alex-C, May 22, 2006.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Hello All.

Comcast cable subscriber here.

I enjoy a good boxing match or other ppv event like anyone else and so I was wondering:

When they show the replays of boxing matches on HBO, they are in HD, but why is there no HD ppv channel on Comcast ?

I have to believe this is not a technical issue, I mean, for those people who shell out $20-$50 for a Pay per view event, shouldn't they get an HD presentation of the thing !?

I'm guessing its not important enough for comcast to devote bandwith or some other decision like that...

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Don't know, pretty sure Directv has a HD PPV channel available, and Comcast has way more bandwidth than the satellites.

3. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I know there is HD Video On Demand. Perhaps there are some of the shows there.

Laters,
    Jeff

4. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Comcast in Baltimore has HD-PPV on the HD Special Events Channel. Ours is channel 254 and has shown boxing matches including the recent De La Hoya fight.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Comcast in Boston has HD On Demand. It's mostly movies, some of them are for free. Saw HD Lawrence of Arabia a few months ago (it was cropped to 16:9[​IMG] ).

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

oh..I knew it ! Todd confirmed. Comcast does provide live HD PPV events in some markets. grrrrrrr.

Thanks for the other replies...I knew about the on demand HD stuff (thumbs up to comcast for this, I am always up for The Fifth Element in HD which was on demand for like, 5 months !) and the directv high def ppv stuff too.