HD Pixellation and picture break up...what causes it?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Darren Gross, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'm noticing it a lot during the Olympics during fast moment or extremely action oriented shots (water splashing etc.)...what is causing this...

Is it the TV, the HD set top box, the transcoder, or the actual transmitted signal itself?

Anyone know?

It looks so amazingly pristine except for these moments of picture break up...

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

weak reception. Get a bigger antenna.

3. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

It's comcast cable. No antenna.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It happens with fast motion at 1080i. 720p is a little better with fast motion.

I see it in track & field event, swimming, diving, gymnastics, etc.

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Yeah, it drives me crazy, I always notice it, but no one else does. One of the curses of a home theater enthusiast.

6. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Same here with the Olympics on NBCHD, baseball and football on ESPNHD look much better.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

ESPN and ABC use 720p, so fast motion programming will look a little better (more solid).

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

BTW, is your NBC affiliate multicasting? Maybe the signal you're receiving is overcompressed as a result.

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I've noticed this on the Olympics but not on the Braves HD channel or soccer games on HDNet. I really haven't watched anything on ESPN yet. Still waiting for the regular season and Cfootball to start.

10. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

The Braves HD channel is freakin' gorgeous.

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I just assume Comcast is over-compressing the channels.

12. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

It's NBC doing a crappy job. It's all over the internet. My CBS 1080i HD NFL games are GREAT !!

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I know Kevin. You can see the stitching on the uniforms, all the little turf divots on the field, etc. I just wish they could work it out so they could broadcast the away games in HD.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I still see pixellation on CBS HD sports (NFL, NCAA Basketball), and it's mainly motion-related.

Our local WB affiliate supposedly lowered their bandwidth for ATSC HD broadcasts in the middle of the past TV season, and shows like Smallville also had pixellation in fast-motion scenes.

15. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Your problem may be signal strength. If you have split the signal several times and have a set at the end of the chain, you will see these breakups, particularly on the higher band digital channels.

To check your cable signal strength, you can bring up the numbers for each channel on your HD cable box. For the SA and Pace boxes, your need to hold the SELECT button on the front panel (surrounded by the arrow keys) and after an envelope icon appears, hit the INFO button. You can then see the signal strength for the station you are on and if it is less than -8 or so you will see breakups.

Your cable providor may provide an amplifier or can replace faulty or old splitters if the signal is degraded.

16. <Matt>

<Matt> Auditioning

It's MPEG compression artifacts. Fast moving action requires more bandwidth, and if the available bandwidth can't handle it, the picture quality suffers (pixelation).

My local NBC station multicasts on their digital channel, and the HD Olympics have looked like crap. [​IMG] I hear Channel 84 on DirecTV looks better.

Matt