HD Pack no longer available???

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JoseEduardo, Oct 15, 2004.

1. JoseEduardo

JoseEduardo Second Unit

I've looked everywhere, no one has it for sale. Online stores show it as discontinued or out of stock.
    Whats going on? Is this product not available at all anymore?

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I can't find it either. I've checked Amazon, EBGames, Best Buy, Circuit City and GameStop.

Buy.com claims to have it. I'm not in a rush to buy it, since I don't actually have an HDTV, just a TV with component in. Let me know if you get it [​IMG]

Of course, there's always eBay. Just ignore anything less than retail, they're knock-offs.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Are you talking about for the Xbox? My GameStop just got 4 more in on Thursday.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to hardware. Please specify which console. I can't imagine Microsoft would have discontinued this product for the Xbox as it is such an important aspect of the console's performance. Worst case they might have switched suppliers and this is a transition delay.

5. JoseEduardo

JoseEduardo Second Unit

Yes, I was refering to the XBOX HD pack, and it looks like it has been discontinued, just look for it at amazon.com and you'll get that message...
    very strange

6. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen the xbox HD packs anywhere locally in ages. Figures since I'm now interested in getting a tosh 26 inch widescreen with progressive scan component inputs.

I don't really understand this, more and more HD sets are being sold each and every day and now when people need the HD packs, where are they?

7. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

It is really stupid...anyway, I have seen some around lately. If anyone needs some I can get a couple at my local mall (where I incidentally work). But I have to say it doesn't surprise me--Nintendo has stopped making the component cables even though many of their games are still supporting progressive scan. Makes no sense, but hey usually things like this don't.

8. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

If you cant find the hd pack I would recommend getting the monster component cables. I have them and they are great, plus theres less connections and doesnt have to go through the box.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I've been able to find them at FutureShop here in Calgary. However, they are $40 CDN, which is quite pricey...same as when they first came out in 2001!

The green output jack broke on mine, but thankfully a coworker is handy with a soldering iron and glue, and fixed it. Whew.

10. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well the updated one is now available. I found one at Fry's for $19.99. Here are some pictures I took of it.

Much beefier cable:
    [​IMG]

New connector w/optical built-in:
    [​IMG]

11. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

i was at Best Buy yesterday and they carry a new line of xbox video cables.

Psyclone Cables

I bought the component set, 59.99. they were out of stock on the HD pak and i didnt want the monster 400's. Has anyone seen these yet or tried them out?

They are working pretty good for me so far.

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hmm, very interesting that they moved the optical out to the plug (essentially the back of the XBox). Since my XBox is further away from my A/V rack, this would necessitate a longer optical cable (luckily I already own the old HD pack). Don't know many people whose XBoxes are with their equipment simply because of controller cable length. If mine were with my system, I'd be sitting way to close to my TV.

13. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The Psyclone Cables are nice (from what I've seen in-store), but I can't justify the $60 asking price when the High Definition AV Pack runs a third of the cost. The Best Buy CSR I spoke to a few days ago knew nothing about the revised HD Pack (no surprise there [​IMG] ), but he did check for available inventory at the other BB locations in central OH; no one has either in stock. Will look into Gamestop and EB for possible stock.

14. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    I just bought one at my local BB the other day. I was thrown off, however, by the new one since I'd been looking up info on the Web at Microsoft's site. The old one had a box and you had to buy extra component cables to go from the box to the TV/AV receiver, right? The new ones (pictured above) have the cables built in. I bought an 8' optical cable at Wal-Mart for $26 and was floored when I put in Halo because the component cables increased the color and resolution (which I expected since I've using component with DVDs for years now) but the 5.1 gameplay sound blew my ears away. [​IMG] I'll never play video games the same again!

15. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The new cables look pretty nice. The old HD pack did come with a set of cables, but they were on the slim side.

16. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Yeah, once you hear how direction sounds can be in a game with 5.1 (Halo 2 for example) it definitely rocks. I've used it to trackdown folks who are trying to either hide or be stealthy in a game.

17. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

I have the original set of official HD plugs for the Xbox and had problems with the included component cables from day one. I had an extra set laying here, so didn't return them.

Maybe I'll pick up a new one to see how it works.

18. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

What were the problems you were having?

I have the original HD pack as well (from the launch day) and I haven't had any problems.

I'm curious.

19. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

One of the cords was dropping out on me (not sure what each color cord transfers, sorry). Everything would get a green tint to it. Replaced the component cords and it has been fine ever since.

20. Roger D

Roger D Agent

I'm confused by all of the posts. Hope someone can clarify.

My understanding is that there used to be an HD converter that you would plug your own Component cables into? And now the only thing available is the component cables with X Box adapter so that they plug right into the X Box? I've seen these in stores. The Monster brand gets pretty expensive. (Up to $100 CDN).

Is there any difference in picture quality?

I haven't got my X Box yet, so it's hard for me to understand.