HD OTA reception

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

When this becomes a reality in my area......will I have to replace my current OTA antenna? Will my older tv's be able to receive this higher quality information?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Since most digital channals are uhf, as long as your current ota antanna is for uhf also you should be ok...With your current analong TVs you will need a set top box to convert the digital signal to analog for your old analog TV's
    ------------------

3. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

How far can I be and still receive a signal? I'm about 60 miles from Los Angeles and am very tempted to get the Samsung OTA STB. My only concern is if I'll be getting a signal. Is anyone here getting OTA HDTV more than a few miles from LA?

Pieter

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have the Samsung unit but not familiar with your area. As long as there are no mountains or other obstructions in the way, a good outdoor antenna with a preampflier (amplifies the signal vs. a distribution amp) it should not be a problem. You probably want to talk to someone who installs (and knows what they are doing) in your area. Channel Master carries a wide variety of products and also has distributors all over, www.channelmaster.com.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

titantv.com

has a 'calculator' that will give you a recommended antenna size depending upon your distance

that should give you an idea