HD OTA in Denver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryLA, Jun 9, 2001.

1. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

I'm just wondering if it is possible to receive HDTV ota in Denver? I was told there are no digital towers so no matter what is broadcast from the networks you can't pick it up. Just curious.
    Jerry
    ------------------

2. Ernie S

Ernie S Auditioning

Jerry,
    Welcome to our nightmare!
    The current status of DTV is a mess in Denver with no real solution in the near future. There is only one
    station with high power Fox KTVD 32. But they aren't showing any of the fox pgms in HD. They haven't' spent the money to upgrade their equipment yet.
    KMGH (ABC) & KRMA (PBS) have very low-power transmitters which only get out a couple of miles from downtown. KCNC (CBS) is also planning to do the low-power thing this year. KUSA (NBC) and all the others have nada.
    The hold-up is they all want to put their new transmitters up on lookout mountain where all their current tower/microwave infrastructure is now. The residents of lookout mountain don't want any part of it and have fought in court to keep them from putting any more transmitters up there. The stations are so stubborn and childish, that they just keep wanting to fight and fight (and keep losing) without finding alternate locations for their towers and transmitters. So, it looks like it's going to be years and years and years...
    The only alternative is to move downtown and receive some HDTV or go the Canadian DSS (ExpressVu) route and get your HDTV network programs from our neighbors up north (Which is the way a number of us in Denver are headin')

3. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ernie for the information. I was in Denver about a month ago and talking to someone at Listen Up Audio about the same thing. I misunderstood him and thought he said they had finally come to some solution to the problem. It's a shame there is no solution in sight. I only hope that Dish will come to the rescue and offer more HD in the future. What is the Canadian option you referred to? Anything that could be a possible solution in Gunnison?
    ------------------

4. Ernie S

Ernie S Auditioning

Jerry,
    You can get DSS satellite service (Like Dish / Directv) from a Canadian company - ExpressVu.
    They carry most of the same channels we get (ESPN, CNN, Sci-Fi etc.) Along with a tonof Canadian Networks.
    You can also get all the US Networks from them too. The best part is they also carry a bunch of the US Nets HDTV programs along with some HBO movies and series. (It's not HBO, but called something different in their package). A bunch of Denver HDTV enthusiasts, ticked-off at the local nets have gone this route. It looks like
    it gonna' be quite a while before we get full-power HDTV.
    The only weirdness is you can't order it direct from ExpressVU, you have to go through a "broker" to set it up.
    Here's the Brokers link: http://www.freewaysupport.com/
    Here's the link for expressVu: http://www.ExpressVu.com/en/home.asp
    Good Luck!