HD on a 4:3 set

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike S., Dec 1, 2004.

1. Mike S.

Mike S. Auditioning

I am looking at upgrading the TV in my Family Room, but don't wish yet to get a 16:9, as the majority of programming my family watches is still 4:3.

However, I do still want a HD-ready set. I am looking at 2 32 inch tube televisions at Best Buy, the Sony KV-32HS420, and the Samsung TX-P3271H. They both look great at the store, the Samsung being $100 less.

My question is: Since it's a 4:3 set, does it automatically go into a 16:9 mode when receiving HD content and put in the black bars, or does it stretch it to to 4:3? I'm hoping somehow the sets know, and will keep all SDTV 4:3, and when sensing HD, make it 16:9, but I don't know.

Thanks!

2. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Well, keep in mind you'll want to watch all anamorphic DVDs in 16:9 mode as well, though they're not HD (of course).

Even if it doesn't do it automatically, it shouldn't be more than the hitting of a couple buttons on your remote.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I believe that this Sony locks into the correct format automatically. Even if not, as Jim notes, it can be accomplished through the menu.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Most of the sets like the Sony have an auto detect mode and a manual override mode ...

Sony units are a bit more tweakable than the Samsung units.

Regards

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

HDTV looks fabulous on my 4:3 native infocus X1 projector.

6. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Be sure to check the sets and see if they allow aspect ratio control when viewing HD material. Many sets will lock in to 16:9 mode, thus preventing you from zooming in on any 4:3 material that is being broadcast on an HD channel.

It's not that big a deal, though - in cases like this, I will often switch to the SD channel and use my set's built-in stretch modes.

-Jason

7. John S

John S Producer

Don't be afraid to experiement with different controls and output resolutions from your sources too. Since there is so much upconverted 4:3 on the HD feeds these days, I have found those upconverted 4:3 letter boxed on the HD Feed are way best view'd on my 4:3 HD set in ED (480p), and zoom / cropped to perfectly fill my 4:3 screen by the HD STB.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There are still a few 4:3 models that use just 810 scan lines for 16:9 (and all 1080 scan lines for 4:3) despite the fact that HDTV is normally 16:9.

If you turn the contrast way down (first!) and then turn the brightness way up, with the 4:3 TV in 16:9, and the top and bottom bars turn gray, that means scan lines are being consumed making the bars, which is less desirable.

Turn the brightness back down first before turning the contrast back up (no more than halfway) when you are done with this test.

Other irritations with TV's

2. Only one video input for both composite and S-video. You almost always have to crawl around back and unplug one before you can use the other.

3. Takes a long time to change channels after you push the button. Try both with digits and with up/down.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm