hd, not from cable/sat.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by gab_, Sep 14, 2006.

1. gab_

gab_ Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the sony 30hs420. problem is, my cable company doesn't offer HD. so, what are my options? are set top boxes still around, or is there a better question? or can I get an antennae that can be used with a monitor? thanks in advance.

ps- I cant change cable companies at the time, nor can I go satellite.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There are several options depending on your location. Many areas have local telecasts in HD. When I lived in Dallas I could get pretty good to great receptioin with an indoor antenna on all of the networks. Some friends in the northern suburbs needed an antenna in the atic or a roof mount.

Both DirecTV and Dish have HD offerings.

3. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Is you cable picture poor? Even all the network "HD" 95% or more isn't HD at all. It's just the old 480 sent out digital. There is such a small amount of true HD programming out there right now, unless you need to be on the cutting edge of technology, why not wait til 2009 when it will be more likely that everything will be at least digital, Remember... Leave it to beaver wasn't filmed in HD and will Never be broadcast in HD. You might get a digital representation of the old programing materials.. but there not HD. Unless someone goes back and remasters all the old tv programs to an HD format. Let's all get real here with the HDTV. It's so limited to actual HD content it's not even worth the effort. I've had a HD set top box for 5 years now. What TV do I have??? 60" 4:3 Sony HD. Do I use it? No. There isn't enough HD Programming out there. Unless you are subscribed to Directv (which I am) and no I don't and won't have their HD Programming Package. Unless you want to watch Discovery HD, PBS HD, or are a Big Sports Fan and Get actual HD Games that are shot with HD Camera's. The rest are all still shot with old 480i equipment. feb 2009 is the cut of date for analog signals, You might consider holding off for a bit. If you are getting a good cable signal be happy with your new HD TV... and wait until the programming is really available. It will probably be another 10 years before everything is truly HD. Remember.. We are the cutting Edge of this right now.. for those who have HD programming (as limited as it is) be happy to have that little bit. Be patient. We are all in a transitional period right now and will continue to be for a long time....... the saga continues.......

4. Phil McC

Phil McC Extra

I agree with Steve. I pay $5.99 for 4 extra HD channels from Dish network and with a $7 indoor aerial (the old "rabbit ears"!) I can get the local channels in supposed HD which is really just digitised older analogue programming. I rarely watch TV on my HD big screen preferring to keep it for movies. The TV content is just not there yet.

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yes, and until the world can decide on a format for HD.. We are all guessing right now. For Dvd's is it going to be Blue Ray or HDDVD the same war we went through with VCR's Beta vers VHS. When tv changed from Black and White to Color, systems didn't matter, Black and White worked fine (and still does) with the color transmittion. Now we are totally switching formats. It's like telling everyingone that VHS Tapes won't work anymore and we are going to Beta. But it's acutually way worse, since HD can be concidered 720P, 1080i, 1080P, and then we have the multiple formats of distribution goin on right now, all of which will carry the all the formats, Component Video, DVI, HMDI, Then you have the audio end... Coax digital, Optical Digital, Analog still running from a lot of our old components like cd players, tape players, phonographs (yes we still get request for these), Nobody (manfacturer to manufacturer) is on the same page with anything.

I wonder why everyone is so confused today...Hmmm.. let me think about that...

Unless you want to spend big $$ right now to try out all this new cool stuff. ( ok I do, but...) wait til everything is streaming through global WI-FI. Then there goes your cable, satellite, etc etc... We have many years of transitions ahead of us.

My predictions for the future is that all media will be streaming via a WI-FI (over the air) just like your cell phone. DVD's (even the new HD) will be no longer, telephone poles that carry phone lines and cable will be strickly to bring electic to you home, No reason for phone companies to maintian physical wire, nor the cable companies, with all their Distribution points, PEDS, when it can all be streamed seamlessly through the air digitally without wires. Movies will be bought via downloads and stored on your media servers ( very large capacity computer compared to todays standard) and all the physical media (cds, DVD's, VHS Tapes,etc etc) all will be stored on you Server. You will have acces to your server anywhere in the world and stream it to you mobile device when your not close to your server. No reason to even carry an Ipod with storage when you can connect to your server with unlimited storage via your portable device. The day is coming and it's coming faster than you can believe. Mark my words on this entire paragraph.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Here I mostly disagree with Steve, as it really depends on what TV you watch. Almost all network, prime time TV is in HD. Major sporting events are in HD and as well, many regular events are in HD (e.g. several college and pro games a year. Mark Cuban’s HDNET has movies in HD. Letterman and Leno are in HD.

It is true that as a percentage of total programming (especially cable and satellite) that HD makes up a small percentage. And while Leave it to Beavr will probably never be in HD, Star Trek is being rerun in HD (with the special effects remastered) this season. Also all of the shows that were filmed in 35mm can be very easily rerun in HD, because they already have more definition than “high definition”.

7. gab_

gab_ Stunt Coordinator

I really want the sporting events in hd. my cable company is small, and just has a deal with my apartment complex. so, I cant go elsewhere. satellite isnt an option, because Im moving in april. and I was under the assumption that I couldnt use an antennae to get hd, because my tv is just a monitor. is that correct?

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The format for HD has been set for years now. The display technology will not be going through changes. HD-DVD is still in it's infancy and copy protection (and what connections are required) is a little up in the air, but the HD display standard has been around for almost a decade.

Like Lew, I get almost every primetime show in HD and every sporting event I wish to watch. When the Food Network and The History Channel go HD(supposed to be soon), approxiamtely 85% of my TV watching will be HD.
    It's farther along than you think, especially in my area (Boston).

9. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Sounds like Boston is way ahead of Milwaukee! That's another problem. Every city varies so much especially on the Cable end of things. So many places can't even get cable yet in many rural areas of the state. We're lucky to have electric and phone at our house just outside of Wautoma, Cell phone service and Cable aren't even available at the house. Thanks to satellite services without that all we get is a snowy antenna pic. Can't even get a digital off air up there yet. Hopefully soon!