What's new

HD Lord of the Rings ! (1 Viewer)

Brent T

Second Unit
I cant wait for this !

Taken from http://dvd.ign.com/articles/746/746952p1.html

"On Lord of the Rings, we have always saved stuff for the inevitable HD box set," says Pellerin. "We've saved some really critical [bonus materials]. A long time ago, we knew that they were eventually going to release this thing as a box set on HD. This is going to happen, so that's that. You know the studio's going to do that anyway, because that's how they make money. So on Lord of the Rings we have this whole treasure chest, war chest, of material. Some of the coolest and funniest stuff we saved for the inevitable box set. Really, Lord of the Rings the final chapter is still waiting to be written."

Chief among those new bonus features will be a documentary directed by Jackson himself.

"One of the things that Peter has always planned, since the beginning of Rings — this is nothing new — he always planned to someday sit down and do a feature documentary on the making of The Lord of the Rings from his point of view," says Pellerin. "A director's journey, made by Peter Jackson, 'Hey, here's my story. Here's what I did. Here's what happened.' Really the kind of tell-all, sort of blood and guts story going through the entire thing, from how the project got initiated straight through production, but all from Peter's point of view, which I think would be fascinating. I've done tons of making-of work and Costa [Botes] did his fly on the wall documentaries, but to have something directly from Peter… I've heard some of his stories that have never seen the light of day, and some of them are just [amazing]. I know that he'll want to do that."

For naysayers who see such a release as yet another double-dip, Pellerin says that the makers of the original DVD sets couldn't have fit more material on those releases even if they had tried. There was, he says, quite simply not enough room on those sets, and it would have taken something like a six-disc package per movie to fit the bulk of the worthy extras onto just one release. So Pellerin and Jackson both share one mantra when it comes to multiple releases of the same movie: Don't repeat anything.

"When people here about another Lord of the Rings set, they go, 'Oh God, haven't they done it all?'" says the DVD producer. "And then when you start to do the math, you go, 'Did you ever see one deleted scene? Or one gag reel, or anything funny or interesting that's kind of off the beaten path like that? You haven't.' And the reason is we're saving it all. You've never seen the deleted scenes, which are legion. You've never seen the gag reels, which are huge."

As for when the set will arrive, Pellerin can't say. There's no official word on the project, though he says that there's been a bit of talk with New Line about the set, and the studio has had its first initial talks with Jackson about it. Of course, this was all before the LOTR prequel news broke today, and the animosity between the filmmaker and New Line had become so public. Regardless, it seems obvious that any future LOTR set will require Jackson's input.

"It's a matter of timing, and when can Peter [do it]," says Pellerin. "Peter has always been heavily involved with the DVDs. He's always involved in thinking them up, doing the interviews, reviewing cuts every step of the way, giving notes. So these aren't hands-off things. That being said, the HD set is going to be him literally in the editing room every day doing this thing. It's like a Peter Jackson project. So it's really a matter of when he's going to be available to sit down and dedicate the time to do that. I think there's 10 million feet of footage on Lord of the Rings. He wants to have access to all of it to do this, so it'll be pretty epic."

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
This article seems to suggest that the HD versions of LOTR movies are still some time off. I thought maybe I'd wait for them, but I guess the SD upsampled will do for now.

I have been waiting to watch my SE LOTR boxes for a couple of years now. We play them in our store, but I only walk by as I'm busy and really want to enjoy this experience at home.
At home We finally have a decent HD 60" set on which to watch it, the new Sony XBR LCOS. The 5.1 setup has B&W & Phase tech speakers, Main receiver is an Integra with an Adcom 500 for the main L&R speakers. So we are ready...........

I wonder if the theatrical versions will be released in HD first?
Likely, kinda like Kong. But just as likely, many of us will wait for the longer versions. Now we are hinted at even longer longer versions.

So what's with this lawsuit? Must be over money. They always boil down to money. I , like so many others wish that PJ could helm any Hobbit film if one were made.
Guess it's not to be and we should be happy with what has been done with the franchise.

Never mind, I found the other article here:
http://movies.ign.com/articles/746/746811p1.html

Yup, it's about money......'nuff said!

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Yep. I agree. I will also bet that we will see the theatrical cuts fairly soon on HD DVD and Blu-ray with the mega high-def releases much later next year.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'll say right now that it won't bother me in the least to have the EEs split across two HDDVD discs (or BR for that matter), and I think practically everyone else will feel the same (ie there will be very few cries of "they should have put the whole thing on a single BD50!").

Brent T

Second Unit
It wont matter to me if its on one disc or two either. I am 100% positive I wont stay in my seat the entire time I watch any of the LOTR flicks so getting up once more to switch a disc after 2 hours of viewing wont bother me.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
looking forward myself for the hd presentation of these films. hopefully new line will add the trailer in 1080p on the hd-dvds :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks