What's new

HD letterbox stacking stupidity (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm watching the early early pregame festivities. The CBS digital feed is alive, but it's all upconverted 4:3 and windowboxed with blue graphics on the sides.

And then the "Phil Simms All Iron Team" show comes on at 1pm EST. Almost all of this preproduced program is 16:9, then letterboxed to fit 4:3, then upconverted and windowboxed back to 16:9. And if you're watching it on a 4:3 set as I am, it's letterboxed one more time. I've got black bars stacked on top of black bars and blue bars.

Joe Fullscreen, watching it on his analog TV, has to put up with the black bars he hates so much. Ironically, if Joe Fullscreen buys a widescreen HDTV set to get "the big picture" without black bars, he ends up with a postage stamp sized picture with bars on all four sides.

I don't think it can get more stupider than that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the Poker tournament on NBC from 4-6 p.m. might offer something less as offensive? :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dammit! The local CBS affiliate is bouncing around between HDTV and the crappy SDTV feed. It's been SDTV for 99% of the game so far. This is quite underwhelming!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
It doesn't seem like they really utilize the extra space and resolution for their camera work. It would be really cool if they explored some different angles since the HD resolution lends itslef to better detail and depth of field perception.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
They can't do that because the same cameras are also used for the 4:3 NTSC video, which is seen by half a billion people.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Wayne, I agree with you, it is irritating to see 16:9 content sent as 4:3 so we get stuck with black bars no matter what aspect ratio we our TV is.

There are a lot of commmercials as well that are 16:9 and are not sent that way, how hard is it to get 16:9 content?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks