What's new

HD-LD, or Hi-Vision MUSE Laserdisc to give it its proper name: Where do I find them? (1 Viewer)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

HELL NO! :D I keep my both HLD-X9.

Julien WILK, Great the you get a X9. If I remember correctly you had a R7G player right?

I hesitated for a long time before choosing between the CLD-R7G and the LD-S9 but I liked the "LD Only" capability of the S9 and the 3D Y/c Filter not on the R7G.

I sold back my CLD-R5 when I got the S9, my current list is then:

HLD-X9 main MUSE/NTSC player
LD-S9 backup NTSC player
CLD-D925 for PAL (and 2nd level backup for NTSC)

I don't think I'll ever buy another LD Player again, got them all!

And I will soon be able to see the difference between LD-S9 and HLD-X9, and if X9 can better track defective discs or see better through laser rot! (urban legend?)

Rgds,
Julien

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the S9 vs. X9. I currently have an Elite CLD 79 hooked via composite into a Pioneer Elite 530 HDTV. The 530 has the same 3D Y/C comb filter has the X9, and can be adjusted between 5 levels of processing, but lacks the ability to independently adjust the actual Y and C levels that the X9 has. I'd really like to know if the X9 would make a big difference over the 79 since I already have most of the benefit of the X9's comb filter.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I might be tempted to part with my HLD-X0 (even better than the X9), but it'd cost you an arm and a leg for the player, and your first born on shipping.

Both X0 and X9 are expensive.

X9's from 1996 can be found between $2000 and $2400 depending on original box availability, remote control (lack of), manual, etc. X9's from a more recent batch quickly sky rocket to more than the original MSRP of $3500.

X0 are worst, starting at $3800 for old models (MSRP was $8000) and going up to $5500-$6000.

I thought X0 was better for MUSE discs but a step below the X9 for NTSC and without double-side play, isn't it correct? But overly better built.

And I'm not even including shipping rates and insurance :frowning:

Rgds,
Julien

greg_t

Screenwriter
As I understand it, the X9 was produced from 96 to 2002. Did pioneer put a date of manufacturer on the back so you know what year one was produced in? What I'd really like to do is see an X9 in action. I'd like to see how much of a difference it would make on my setup since I already have the same 3D comb filter in my Pioneer Elite HDTV. If there's anyone in the St. Louis area who has one, shoot me an email.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Julien, joined HTF as well eh? I see you everywhere now!

OT: I recently accuired a HLD-X0 for FREE! :D I found it cleaning up some abandoned film company's loft space in SOMA. I dont have the remote. Is there anything special on the remote not on most LD remotes?

Last year I found a W-VHS deck!

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Greg you can sort of take a guess. The X9 had about 7000? units made (based on serial number). 5000? or so were made initially. Mine is in the high 6000? range and I bought it 2002, right after they stopped making them. Most of the newer ones have the rounder "current" Pioneer logo.

Well, everytime someone links LDDB.com from a newsgroup/forum/web page and later click on it, it triggers a hit in my stats history so that I can see what people are talking about :)

A free X0, that awfully nice! Lucky you, you already got the uncompressed SONY MUSE reader for almost nothing!

I'm jealous!

But I don't see any reason to go to the X0 after the X9 (unless I find a killer discount). I'm now trying to find information on the VISCOM KINO 701 Line Doubler and on the Faroudja NR Series doubler/scaler.

Ideally my projector would have:

DVI-D In 1080 from my DVD Player (DVD PAL/NTSC)
RGBHV DB15 In from a Line Doubler (LD PAL/NTSC)
Component In from a MUSE Decoder (LD MUSE)

Rgds,
Julien

Yes, each model has a manufacturing year/month clearly indicated.

One more reason to go PIONEER for LD Player is that they will have spare part and repair service for 10 years after they discontinued the last model (that makes 8 years left).

Probably because they have to maintain a huge LD-based Karaoke market in Japan. Not everybody is keen to upgrade everything to DVD at full price again, they're happy with their LD setup.

Pioneer LDC (LaserDisc Company) is not very far from my apartment -- a 15mn walk -- but I never tried to visit them in case they have some unused LDs lying somewhere in the basement... :D They also changed their name from Pioneer LDC to GENEON when finally switching to VHS/DVD only production.

www dot pldc .co.jp => www dot geneon-ent .co.jp (remove spaces)

Rgds,
Julien

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Have a look at the iScan Ultra. Its an excellent and inexpensive line doubler and will scale 4:3 Letterbox to 16:9. It'll handle PAL and has DVI out too. Not bad for about $800. I bought it just for viewing LDs but now I use it for Sat TV. Highly reccomended.

I could play a bit with my new X9 tonight and I have to say that the output is better than the S9.

It's difficult to quantify, I need to make some A/B test between the S9 and the X9 on the same LD (if have some titles twice). The X9 picture look ways more stable, a DVD-like stability. The filters are doing a hell of a job to remove small artefacts and avoid any "floating" analog picture, very nice.

So the 3D filter must not be everything since the S9 and X9 are supposed to have the same circuitry. Probably a better tracking of the X9 (confirmed on defective CAV discs).

Tried "Boyz N The Hood/Criterion" (rotter, from DADC USA Factory). The rot is still here, slightly less, bus still here. I'll take the LD back to the shop to get a refund :frowning:

Rgds,
Julien

Brian-W

Screenwriter
The X9 will provide a better picture because of the better tracking the laser provides. The X9 uses a red laser (as does the X0) but the S9 and all other production laser players uses an infra-red laser.

The S9 circuitry is on par with the X9, it's the laser that's the weak link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks