HD Input Calibration?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Edward, Mar 9, 2004.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

How do you calibrate brightness, contrast, color, etc., for HD inputs?
    I use VE for the DVD input, but how do I calibrate for the 1080i signal? Should I just use the 480p signal from the DVD player into the input to be used for HD? Are the inputs/output similar enough?
    I know when I had my TV ISF calibrated, an HD signal generator was used.
    Several people I know are having HD cable installed, and I want the best method to get them set until a full blown calibration by an ISF person is possible. Thanks.

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

James,

It depends on the TV. Some have totally separate calibrations for each scan rate, where as others carry over the settings enough to get you in the right ballpark.

Chad

3. RobbieF

RobbieF Extra

How would this apply to TVs with a built-in HDTV tuner? Since the over-the-air HDTV isn't really on a separate input (or any input at all), one cannot calibrate the HD signals separately from the non-HD, right?

My set has a setting in the user-level controls that will switch the color balance from "SD" to "HD" when viewing HD material. Is this the sets way of compensating for this lack of ability to calibrate each separately? I don't think it adjusts the white and black levels, but I could be wrong.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Just set up the TV with the DVD first. It will be close enough ... for now. Copy the parameters to the HD input if need be. They are your starting point ...

Mind you, calibrating for HD is kind of like calibrating for normal cable channels. Close is about the best you are going to get ...

Regards