hd help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Baldwin, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Auditioning

I am hoping that someone can clear up some confusion I am having regarding hd satellite recievers (direct tv).The reason that I am currently involved in this is because I recently bought a Sony 57XBR2 TV. OK, this tv has a built in hd tuner. At first I though that this meant that it could only "display" hd signals from a broadcast, ie from an antenna. I was then told that it could display 1040i signals that were coming into the set, from any of the inputs (rf,composite,s-video,component) and that if I had a satellite dish I only needed to upgrade the dish to a multi-satellite elliptical dish ($149)--Well I did this and then found out that I need a multi-satellite reciever. Do i need a cheap multi-sat reciever or as I originally suspected do I need the HD version of this reciever ? Its kind of funny that hd has been around so long, yet between salesman,sony reps, direct-tv techs and other consumers no one seems to be able to tell me the minimum $$ I need to spend to get hd from a sat dish to my screen [​IMG] . Thanks for any help you can give me !
    Dan

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Miles M

Miles M Agent

Dan,

I am surprised the saleperson where you bought your TV can't/won't give you an easy answer. You need to upgrade your receiver. The regular DirecTV satellite(101) uses voltage to switch the LNB polarity. But with the elliptical dish, the 119 satellite(where HD programming lies) uses voltage and a 22kHz tone. Then, an old satellite receiver without HD capabilities cannot properly set the 119 LNB. Not to mention, to get an HD signal to your TV you need to use the component jacks(YPbPr).

Right now, I think the cheapest STB on the market that will work for you is the 3rd generation Panasonic(model TU-HDS20, I think). But then again, the Mits. HD1000(which is same as Hughes and Toshiba) is also coming down in price. I think you can get one in the $500~600 range, maybe even cheaper.

It seems to me a lot of people are buying HD integrated sets, but don't understand that these work for only OTA HD signals and some also work for 'free' QAM which is almost non-existent today.

BTW, at one time Hitachi and RCA/TCE made a TV that had BOTH OTA HD and DirecTV HD capabilities built in. That set is now ~2 years old model, but was a good set.

4. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Auditioning

Thanks Robert and Miles--the situation is as I originally suspected.