HD format problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by harvey_mason, Nov 19, 2002.

1. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

I have a mits 65611 and just got comcast hd service....

My only problem is this... while plugged into the 1080i dtv input I cannot change the viewing format. All I can use is standard 1081 hd.. so all my non HD channels have the black bars (window box).

I would much rather use the stretch modes to avoid burn in and to use the full screen of the set...

I was curious to see what other brands allow you to do while plugged into the 1080i input..

thanks in advance,
    Harvey

2. JohnBMarsz

JohnBMarsz Auditioning

Harvey:

I have the Samsung 3096WHF HDTV, and while I am on Component, I can't do anything either. Then I was reading my manual, and noticed that it told me to plug BOTH the coax and component cables from the cable box into my TV, and when I am watching Standard TV, and am watching it on Channel 3, I can strech the image! So you might want to look into that as well!

3. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

You're going to need to run both component and another connection (s-video) to your TV from your STB. The black bars are introduced by the STB seeing that 1080i will always be a 16:9 image. The component out on your STB will always give you a 1080i image.

4. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

Thanks for that info guys!!! I am gonna buy a s-video cable tomorrow and hook it up as well and hopefully I Will be able to use al the stretch modes again..

1 question though... w/ both connected will the tv know to use the components for hd content and s video for non hd content or will i have to switch modes manually??

regards,
    harvey

5. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

You need to select your video source just like you need to select the DVD video source to watch a DVD.

From your question, I thought I should explain that you need to hook it up to a different video input. Not the same one as the component cables.

6. Andre*C

Andre*C Agent

I've tried s video and coax to fix this problem and they both work. I've hooked up a lot of home theatres for customers and found that coax for some reason looks waaayyy better then s video at least on these san diego cox digital cable boxes. try both and see which looks better.

7. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

Thanks Rich and Andre,

I think I found another solution..Tell me what you guys think...

My Motorola dct5100 as a config menu where I can select the output resolution.. the 3 settings are 1080i,480p and 480i

while set to 1080i I am locked out of changing my formats, but if I go into the menus and change output to 480i I can then use most of my stretch modes for 4:3 viewing.

I think this is a better alternative b/c I am still using component cables which will give superior quality to s-video and or coax and I don't have to run a second cable out of my decoder.

I just want to make sure I will be doing no harm by using 480i or 480p while plugged into my tv's dtv 1080i input.

I am very new to this stuff but am really starting to love it in a hurry!!

as always thanks in advance,
    HArvey

8. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

Thanks Rich and Andre,

I think I found another solution..Tell me what you guys think...

My Motorola dct5100 as a config menu where I can select the output resolution.. the 3 settings are 1080i,480p and 480i

while set to 1080i I am locked out of changing my formats, but if I go into the menus and change output to 480i I can then use most of my stretch modes for 4:3 viewing.

I think this is a better alternative b/c I am still using component cables which will give superior quality to s-video and or coax and I don't have to run a second cable out of my decoder.

I just want to make sure I will be doing no harm by using 480i or 480p while plugged into my tv's dtv 1080i input.

I am very new to this stuff but am really starting to love it in a hurry!!

as always thanks in advance,
    HArvey