1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HD for under 1k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaunD, Jul 29, 2002.

1. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Found this kinda intresting, anyone know if it is in fact HD? Seems like it would be since on Sony's site they have it listed as cabable of displaying 480p, 960i, and 1080i.
    From Sony's site:
    KV-32FS17
    • Screen size : 32 in. • Cabinet Color : Gray • Digital Reality Creation™ • Velocity Modulation™ Scanning • Comb Filter : 3D Digital • Channel Label • V-chip Parental control • Energy Star Compliant • Component Video Input : 2 HD • Composite inputs (rear) : 3 • FD Trinitron® Picture Tube : Yes (1080i Hi-Scan™ WEGA®)

All for only ~950, if it is indeed HiDef then it would be a good deal, no?
    Link to more info

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Shaun, the FS-series WEGAs are NTSC-only sets. They cannot scan at high-def frequencies. There are some ATSC-based 27-inch (Samsung, Sharp, etc.) sets on the market that can be found at street prices around $1,000.

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy has the following Samsung HDTV's on thier site.

30" Widescreen $1,200

32" Flat screen $1,200

27" Flat screen $800

Randy T

4. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Thanks for the heads up randy. Jack: What do they mean by 1080i Hi-Scan? Also why do they have it listed as displaying 480p?

5. Jack Briggs

Shaun: Please provide a direct link or copy and paste the exact description of the specific product. The FS-series WEGAs have been, until now at least, strictly NTSC-only devices. "HiScan 1080" is part of the current nomenclature for the high-def Sony sets, and 480p cannot be achieved with NTSC technology. So link me directly to the product your asking about. Thanks! JB

6. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Jack, it won't let me link to it. Go to Sony's website and click 27" to 32" TV's then select "compare now" for the KV-32FS17, and one other since you have to select two, then click compare selected and you will see on it's specs Special Video Features Display of 1080i, 480p, 960i

7. Jack Briggs

Shaun: I am looking at the specs on the KV-32FS17 right this moment--and there's nothing at all indicating this is an ATSC-based set. It's a standard analog-only WEGA. Like all 27-inch and larger WEGAs, it has the 16:9 raster-collapse mode, but there's no capability for 1080i or 480p. JB

8. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

Jack -- here's a related question...

In moving from a 27" standard set to a 34" or better, I'll also be moving from a standard DVD player to a progressive one, and moving from S-video output to component. Assuming I get a set with raster-squeeze for anamophic content, I can probably expect a huge improvement even without HDTV, correct?

Considering my overall budget, if my picture is 95% better for $1k, I'm not sure I want to spend another $1k on that last 5% improvement. I'm not sure how to quantify my question, other than to ask: would most of the improvement be due to progressive DVD/component output/raster-squeeze or would it be due to HDTV and the doubler/upconversion? Or is there any way to say?

9. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Shaun The Sony Website is incorrect. I own the 32FS17 and can tell you that is does not support 480P/1080i. The website was incorrect in alot of the listed comparison features like 3/2 pull-down, this model does not have it. 3D comb filter when its really a 3-line filter. Two svideo and componet inputs when there is only one of each.
    Alan A progressive scan player will not do you any good on a set like this since it only accepts a interlaced signal anyway. Progressive scan is good to future proof your DVD player if your planning to get a 480p/1080i set a couple years down the road. You want to get a DVD player that outputs the best interlaced signal of all the crop of DVD players out there.The Panasonic RP-91 or the Toshiba 4800 put out the best interlaced output of the current crop of DVD players out right now. While the 16.9 rerastering helps the image quality of the film you still see a significant improvement at 480P over 480i rerastered to 16.9 I would not even bother looking into getting a NTSC set at all. Just make due with what you have until a HDTV capable set come to market that you can afford.

10. Jack Briggs

Hi, Alan:

Moving from a garden-variety 27-inch set to a 32-inch or larger, better-designed NTSC-only set that can do the raster squeeze will definitely improve the picture you get when viewing 16:9-encoded DVDs. In fact, the improvement will be dramatic--on a 32-inch screen compressed into a 16:9 window means the scanning lines are closer together. When playing a 16:9-encoded DVD on a player outputting a 16:9 signal, the picture will often appear as smooth as a progressive-scan image.

However, a true 480p image will appear even smoother and more filmlike than a 16:9-compressed 480i image. Ultimately, there's no substitute for such an image.

So, at least jumping to a set that can collapse the scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window from the user menu is a definite improvement. But a high-def or even a 480p image would look dramatically better even on a set of this size.

Did this answer your question? If not, please ask again.

11. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

So without an HDTV, a progressive-scan DVD player is superfluous? I thought that it would still help because of the vertical squeeze.

The general impression I'm getting is that saving up for the HDTV may be the better option--instead of only taking a half-step. I have no particular need for HDTV in regards to non-DVD sources, but it sounds like there will still be a huge improvement with a progressive display.

(I only have analog cable, and our digital package is extremely backward--not worth the box hassles. We're in a low DMA, and aren't likely to get OTA HDTV or standard networks on satellite anytime soon.)

I'm ready to move up from my 27", but in addition to wanting a dramatic upgrade in movie PQ, I need a set that will be forgiving to average analog cable, or DVDs of '60s TV shows, etc...

Thanks for the comments.