HD ED and thoughts of the season premiere

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Doroshenk, Sep 26, 2002.

1. John Doroshenk

I love the show ed, and thought it was going to be in HD, does anyone know what they showed that in, it looked to me to be in 480P maybe. I was hoping it would be in 1080I so I could watch carol vessy in all her glory. Also, NBC OTA here in Springfield was going in and out of sync with the sound, kind of distracting, but I can handle it.

I thought the season premiere was great. I think this show is great cause its all based on the sexual tension between Ed and Carol and thankfully the writers are smart enough to never let that come to conclusion, probobably until the series finalle. Does anyone know if kenny is gone forever, his interaction with Phil was some of my favourite scenes. Though I do like the guy that's taken his place, he cracked me up.

And anyone who didn't see it last night, think of a number 1 to 4

Got it,

was it

This as a lead in to west wing plus the usual law and order at 10, makes for a great night.

John

2. Michael St. Clair

Power outage doesn't like Tivo.

Can anybody point me to a URL with a full recap of last night's ep?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

This might have been the best episode yet. I thought it felt more like a season finale than a premiere. Yay, they brought back the old theme song!

~T

5. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I noticed a huge difference in the picture quality, and I only have regular TV reception - no cable, no satellite, nothin'!

Last night's episode was good...but not great. Compared to last year's season opener, I think it fell woefully short. I laughed a lot, and yelled at the TV a lot, but, compared to the best Ed has offered, it wasn't that strong.

I will miss Kenny - his subtle, understated comedy was perfect against Phil's over-the-top insanities.

And speaking of insanity...

WTF is wrong with Carol? A deaf, mute, blind woman could tell Ed is a better man than Dennis. Two years of keeping them apart is beginning to wear thin, for me.

The writers of the show have shown that they can take difficult situations and wring great comedy and drama out of them. I'd like to see them tackle the situation of Ed and Carol actually getting together. It's one thing to pine for the girl of your dreams - it's quite another to actually HAVE her in your life. As the writers for Friends showed in Seasons 2 and 3, you CAN bring the two together without losing comedy and tension.

After last night's episode, my liking and respect for Carol dropped significantly. And I was shouting for joy when:

Dennis was packing to leave! I was shouting hallelujah!

but should have known the writers were only pulling our collective legs.

It is still a favorite show, but I am losing patience and respect for the characters and the writers' handling of the Ed and Carol relationship.

6. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The "HD" picture was actually a cropped "tilt-and-scan" version of the 4:3 picture. I was disappointed with the HD picture quality. It looked about on par with a good DVD, but I wasn't blown away by it.

7. Michael St. Clair

8. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

It looked very good to me on WRC-48 in D.C. It was definitely tilt-and-scan, which caused some problems getting both Ed and Danny Devito into the same frame sometimes [​IMG] but the actual video quality was quite high.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Ed/Carol/PJ love triange is wearing on me, it pains me to see Ed in so much pain over Carol. And it's obvious that Carol doesn't really truly love PJ (from the look in her eyes after PJ accepts her hasty marriage proposal. UUGGHH!!!!

10. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

Can you say "SCHMUCK?" I don't know but how many times can a guy take that abuse and still want more. Move on for gods sake! I used to watch this show and then I got really tired of the girl always turning Ed down. I watched the season opener and nothing has changed. Maybe I can't watch any more because it hits too close to home.[​IMG]

11. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I've gotta agree about growing tired of the triangle thing. Ed is looking like a total smuck lusting over a woman that he apparently can't have.

12. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

The whole thing with Ed and Carol is wearing very thin for me. I thought maybe this season they would explore the "dating" aspect of these two.... not the marriage of Carol and s**t for brains. The writers are clearly talented enough to keep interest up without actually letting Carol and Dennis tie the knot. Do I see a season finale with Carol & Dennis at the altar and Ed pounding on the glass door upstairs as we hear Mrs. Robinson in the background???? I guess we'll see.
    Jerry