HD Dying! And Strange Slow-Down in XP.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I have a Maxtor 60 Gigs HD that is less than a year old (Bought in April 2002) and now when I boot, it says S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD - Backup and Replace.

It started saying this since yesterday. Does that mean that my hard disk will crash soon? Should I get it exchanged for a new one? (As it's still under warranty) I just backed-up all my important stuff on a 27 Gigs drive I also have. Anyone had this problem before?

Also, Windows seems to have a strange slow down problem, it could be due to the Hard Disk problem mentionned above. It's like if background processes (Even low priority ones) can cause the computer to be very slow to respond to the user interface. Some things as simple as changing the mouse cursor from the arrow to the hand when I hover a Hyperlink. It's a brand new install of Windows XP Pro with SP1 (2-3 Weeks) and it's been doing it a little bit since the beginning, just getting worse recently.

Could this be caused by the Hard Disk problem that the BIOS detected? Something wrong with the CPU? Or a bad setting somewhere in Windows that could affect this.

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

It's PROBABLY a problem with the swap file.

Windows usually creates a "swap file" on your hard drive to act as "extended RAM." If you have a low amount of actual RAM on your computer, it likely is the problem.

As far as the Hard Drive is concerned: I think its likely to crash soon. I'd call Maxtor and ask for a refund. Hard Drives SHOULD last you at least 5 years, though they are now reducing the warranties to about a year. I'd just try to get as much as you can OFF the hard drive before it goes kaput.

3. Martin Fontaine

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Probably very soon...I'd guess a few more hours of use and it will degrade to the point of no spinup. I'd be counting the life of the HD in number of reboots!

Get it replaced ASAP! If it goes kaput while it is on, it could burn and throw smoke all over the place, and maybe even short out your power supply (worst case scenario).

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I have no idea when it will crash, but it will likely be soon.

As for your RAM: these days, it's not that much. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del once and see what your commit charge is. If it's anything over 256 MB, it means you're using a swap file.

Right now I'm using 314 and I don't have all that much stuff open. Its amazing how much memory gets eaten up with programs these days.

6. Martin Fontaine

The Hard Disk was replaced and all works fine now. All I paid was the shipping and the diff to go from a 60 GB to a 80 GB.

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

FYI: The S.M.A.R.T. function is there to make sure that data is not lost in the event of hard drive problems. What most people don't realize is that S.M.A.R.T. (which is an acronym for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) is a HARDWARE issue. Its entire purpose is to run diagnostics on the motors, the media, the electronic components, and the mechanical components.

It has zero, zip, nada to do with the operating system that is installed on said hard drive, and it has absolutely nothing to do with swap files.

Glad to see that S.M.A.R.T. obviously works -- if you have it activated. I'm glad that I do. [​IMG]

8. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I personally disable S.M.A.R.T. Never seen it do anything that grand for me. But you know, if you still have your old HDD, they are pretty fun to shoot. Or take out the magnet and stick it on your bosses monitor.

9. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

10. John_Berger

11. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

It never said it did a search, just that it sends packets through the network. Apparently with the S.M.A.R.T. software it does send information through the network. I think the article was speaking if you have the software installed on your OS.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/

Another fun thing to do with HDD magnets is dare a co-worker to clip the two magnets to their ear like an earring. The MFM HDD had some sweet magnets I tell ya.

12. John_Berger

No, he explicitly says it.

13. Martin Fontaine

He probably meant bandwidth on the IDE channel. I installed a program on Windows just before the drive went Kaput (After the backup so that program went down with the drive so to speak) and it gave me a bunch of numbers which I had no clue what they are exactly. So it's reading this info from the drive that could slow down.

14. John_Berger

God, I hope that's what he meant. Being a UNIX system and network administrator by trade, when I hear the word "packet" a hard drive is the last thing that I associate with that word. [​IMG]

I can't imagine that the data throughput rate would be that diminished anyway by activating S.M.A.R.T - depending on the overall transfer rate, of course.