HD DVDs?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AdamLiu, Jan 5, 2004.

1. AdamLiu

AdamLiu Auditioning

I did a search but I couldn't come up with anything. DVD are made to 480i standards so is there anything such as a HD DVD or is that the next generation in home digital video?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Adam.

Yes, there are 2 or 3 competiting companies working on a High Def DVD. Search for "Blue Ray" to find these posts.

But what is killing the plans are:

- None of the HD DVD's will work on existing players.

- Hollywood has big issues with selling what could be considered a high-definition master to consumers and then watching as VHS, DVD and VCD copies are made, sold across the world in a few days and ruining the market for their own versions.

3. AdamLiu

AdamLiu Auditioning

Got it. Seems interesting. I am trying to figure out how to get the best picture quality out of regular DVDs. I guess I am getting a little disillusioned as to how to scale up the picture on a reg DVD so it would show as HD or close to HD. I guess I figured it would be easier just to make a HD DVD! LOL. Now that i think of it I wouldn't want to junk all my reg DVDs after HD DVDs come out, I'd be hella pissed lol.

4. John S

John S Producer

Adam, the best is 480p for DVD's and it is dang good.

5. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

I've heard the possibility that when HD-DVD does come into play, the first discs will be double sided. One side the HD-DVD version for the new players, and the other side regular DVD for the current players today.

I heard this some time ago, but sounds like a good plan to me. Only thing you loose is the artwork labels on the DVDs.

Also, Adam:
    There are some palyers that scan scale DVD resolution up to HD resolution. Whether or not it makes a difference is debateable. The Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi is a player that can do this, but carries a $1,600 price tag.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You might want to look at DVD players with the Faroudja chip that does the de-interlacing.

Samsung has a HD9xx DVD player that performs up-conversion within the DVD player. But you have to connect to your television with a DVI cable. People who have done this and compared it to a analog connection from the same player and television do not say it makes a huge difference.

You may have heard some noise about DVHS. This is back to a tape, but the players do produce HD level signals from DVHS material. While it seems a step-back using tape, the quality is HD.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Or discover the wonderful world of HTPC.

-Vince

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...my experience is the opposite.

i have the samsung 931 connected (via dvi) to my mits 65". i can get 1080i, but unfortunately, my tv won't do 720p.

i tossed in finding nemo, forwarded to a scene when they're in the fish-tank (because it was so brightly lit), then did some comparing. i thought i was going to be in for a long-haul, but the difference between composite and dvi was *literally* amazing.

i thought the color on nemo using composite was okay, but as soon as you switched to dvi, his skin immediately became *significantly* brighter - i mean, it popped. even my girlfriend (who hates this kind of stuff) made an immediate comment. i didn't do a lot of examining with the sharpness, but it sure did seem better.

although it probably doesn't matter, i am using a better grade dvi cable (monster brand). i've heard people say the supplied dvi cable is crappy.

i'm not sure just how good (or bad) my dvd player is, but it's the best pic i've had so far.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

DVD is 480i.

line doubling takes it to 480p, but this is not contained on the disc itself. This is the same as video processing (albeit just one very specific type), such as that Vince is referring to with an HTPC.

And since it's not been mentioned, High def IS available from D-VHS. It's the only current available way to get recorded high-def movies. However, they are tapes, selection is limited, and clearly a disc-based high-def source will wipe it out soon, but temporarily anyway, it looks stunning. Until the tapes wear out... [​IMG]

10. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

The "Terminator 2- Judgment Day Extreme Edition DVD" is 1080p. Need an HTPC of course.

11. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

It was mastered in 1080p and done as a hi-def telicine transfer, but it is still DVD quality which is 480i.

No DVD can hold HD video unless it was really short, like say just under an hour max. HD is more than 4 times the data for the video.

What you're thinking of is the DVD-ROM feature of the theatrical release in Windows Media Player 9 format, in hi def resolution. But this canot be played on any stand alone player, alas.

12. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I don't own it though, just saw it on TechTV months ago.