Hd-dvd

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StevenFC, Sep 1, 2003.

1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Maybe this is a little premature, but I have a question or concern about high-definition DVD. I assume that the emphasis will be on picture quality with this new format. Isn't that going to mean that movies with less than perfect film elements to work from are going to need to be restored? Surely they're not going to promote HD-DVD as having a pristine, clear as a bell picture and then release movies with scratches and flaws. I for one won't commit to this format until I'm assured that I won't just be watching a bad print remastered in HD-DVD. A bad picture is a bad picture no matter how great the resolution.

Is it possible that only newer films will be released and that HD-DVD will be nothing more than a niche product? And I assume that the video stream will still be compressed. Won't it be subject to the same flaws as normal DVD?

Does anyone have any idea about how these issues are being approached?

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Take a look at HBO-HD, SHO-HD and others who are already adressing these issues.

I suspect that many of the HD movies shown were taken from a master made for DVD. For example, on Sunday night on ABC, they showed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a film that will be released OAR DVD in Nov. Although ABC cropped it (blah)- I bet the master came from the new DVD's.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer