Hd Dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_MN, Jan 14, 2003.

  1. Robert_MN

    Robert_MN Auditioning

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Any info on when HD DVD is arriving?
     
  2. Scott_Jua

    Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Messages:
    97
    Likes Received:
    0
    yeah I wanna know too...
     
  3. Patrick Sun

    Patrick Sun Moderator
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 1999
    Messages:
    38,717
    Likes Received:
    463
    When Hollywood is satisfied that people can't figure out a way to rip the HD quality film transfers off the HD-DVDs, i.e, when a "fool-proof" encryption scheme is devised (DVI-CP is part of this movement).
     
  4. Reece

    Reece Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2002
    Messages:
    94
    Likes Received:
    0
    If that's what Hollywood is waiting for they might as well never release it. There isn't a method of encryption known to man that can't be hacked given time. I say forget about that 5% of the population that will never reform and let the other 95% continue to enjoy and consume.
     
  5. Darren Pillans

    Darren Pillans Second Unit

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2000
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    0
    Reece,
    Couldn't have put it better if I tried.
    Life's too short to deprive the public a technology that currently exists.
    THE END
    [​IMG]
     
  6. JohnnyG

    JohnnyG Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2000
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, some of the Blu-Ray companies were saying that they'll have hardware on the shelves by the end of next year, but that's hardly the whole story. The DVD Forum, the group that officially decides all things "DVD" have yet to create an official standard for anything that would be called HD-DVD. There are several hardware platforms, compression algorithms, etc., all competing to be chosen as THE DVD standard. There's obviously a lot of money at stake.

    I would guesstimate that anything offically called "HD-DVD" is 3-5 years off.

    Blu-Ray hardware will be out by then, but nobody knows if there will be ANY pre-recorded Hollywood movies available for that format. It may never be more than a personal record/playback format.
     

Share This Page