HD-DVD: will it be compatible for today's DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Tomorrow, my fourth DVD player in two years will arrive to my address. It is a new model that was released last month that is receiving praise among home theater enthusiasts and videophiles because of its picture performance. While I am waiting for this DVD player, I had heard about a new DVD format called HD-DVD.

Even though I know very little about this new DVD format, I wonder whether it is compatible with today's DVD players, or would it not.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    There is no finalized format as of yet, although the requisite technologies are in place. No one knows exactly what form HD-DVD will take, but odds are that it will be backwards-compatiable.

DJ

3. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

... meaning that future HD-DVD players will be able to play today's ordinary DVDs, not that our ordinary players of today will be able to play HD-DVDs.

Right?

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Right.
    Look at it in these simple terms (VASTLY oversimplifying it here):
    The lasers in the current players can read pits this big: O
    The lasers in the new HD players will read pits this big: ·
    You can fit more of the second, smaller one onto the same size disc, right? That's what makes HD-DVD better: more information in the same amount of room. The information on DVDs are kept in the "pits".
    But, while the new laser with the narrow beam can read the info in the big pit OR the small pit, the old laser with the wider beam is just too big and clumsy to read info in the new, smaller pits.
    Just like a guy with big fingers has trouble pushing the buttons on a mini-cellphone. Same principle.
    Now that I've pushed the boundries of oversimplification way too far for the tech-minded guys here on HTF, I will don my flame-proof suit and quietly slip away... [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

For HD-DVD to have any impact, first more that 1/100th of America needs to own HDTVs. When over 60% of the US has an HDTV, then you can start wondering about HD-DVD impacting standard DVD

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In terms of sales? Not sure if I follow.

7. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    If it hasn't been made clear, the answer to your question is no. Your new DVD player will not be able to play future HD-DVDs.

Regardless of what form this new format will actually take (current red laser, blue laser, or something else) we can be pretty certain that it will be something that today's DVD players will NOT play.

Of course, it is reasonable to assume the future HD-DVD players will be able to play our current form of "standard" DVDs.

And since you've bought 4 DVD players in two years, the idea of buying a new HD-DVD player 2-3 years (maybe sooner, maybe later) from now shouldn't be that big of a deal. So enjoy your new player.

8. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

A few musings...
    Will the new HD DVD players down convert for the non HD tv owners? Will people think the downconverted look better than regular dvds? Will J6P want P&Scam in this format also?
    Will there be portables with full density 5" screens?
    Will the players be $2k the 1st year and $25 the next?
    Which studios will deem their films to valuable to release HD?
    Will George Lucas be to busy tweaking Star Wars IV-VI, Indiana Jones and Howard the Duck to let them come out in HD-DVD until 10 years after it comes to market?
    Will we get dual sided DVDs, one side HD-DVD one side P&Scam standard DVD?
    Will congress pass a law for HD-DVDs, that after you open the package, if you try to leave the dwelling with it, then killer satelites will fry you? (Digital Millenium Copyright Act II)
    Will Star Trek TOS come out on HD-DVD with 1 episode per disc?
    [​IMG]
    Peter

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

10. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Agent

The DVD's you buy today should be OK if a HD-DVD comes out. Of course if it comes to be HD-DVD disks will not play in current players.

The if is the studios. When DVD first came out most studios especially Warner were viewing DVD now to own as a VHS replacement the future HD solution would be video on demand for the future. You had the box and selected through the menu any thing to start now, with DVD still being around to not bankrupt you through the childhood growing years. Ok course the kids would not care and I am not sure with some of the snowy tapes my daughter still watches it they do.

I have not heard much about this in the forums, like we did in the past, but I still see this coming out in the newpaper and magazine articles about the digital future. So the VOD may or may not be dead allowing for HD-DVD in some form. But if it is a no go we would for sure get HD-DVD. With the average length of time the average DVD player will last I am not too worried about the HD-DVD not playing on them in a couple years all of mine would be replaced anyway.

11. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Another question is: will HD-DVD players be compatible with today's HDTV sets? Or will some sort of special digital input (DVI or something similar) be required?