What's new

HD DVD WIDESCREEN ONLY ??? ADVICE NEEDED (1 Viewer)

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
can any tell me what ratio fills the entire screen on a widescreen tv....the titles i have looked thru for hd dvd , llike superman, all apear to be filmed in widescreen, which is not my favourite way to watch , although meant to be watched in widescreen, i feel i lose so much screen with the black bars top and bottom, and unlike my regular dvd player, the tv would let me switch to full screen or widescreen......now it does not ?...the hd player is obviously stopping this ....i could only find one movie which i think was 1:85 allowing me to watch full screen on widescreen tv ......i for one think it would be a shame to not have much of a choice with this new format......advice greatly appreciated i.e ratio an what it means if i want full screen .....:frowning:

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
You aren't losing anything, but would be if the picture was modified to fill your screen. That's simple geometry....Anybody think this thread needs to be moved to the beginner's forum?

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
have i entered the pro forum by mistake ?........and it is a matter of opinion as to if you prefer full screen on a widescreen tv or black bars burning into your plasma display over a number of years for watching widescreen.......granted there is a difference in some scenes, but not worth worrying about....i have just looked thru best buys entire hd dvd collection...and only found 3 movies that were 1:85 ratio.....everything else looks to be 2:35 or there abouts.....the latter not giving my preference in veiwing through the plasma display....so the simple quesion was could i remedy that .... maybe the beginners forum would be a little more pleasant visit

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Is there ever a "risK'' that HD DVD titles will go to full screen to satisfy those with disinterest in oar? I hope not!

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Although I agree with OAR and all that it stands for, to be a little objectionable I will try to help. I'm guessing that you have a plasma and if it is 16:9 Ratio you will get black bars on anything above 1.78:1 ratio.

My advice is to see if your television, or you player has a zoom feature on it and zoom to a filled screen. But bear in mind this will reduce the resolution from it's intended look.

Hope that helps.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I would say absolutely not. It never happened with dvd and because widscreen tv's are the norm now, the worst thing that could happen is that it would go to 1.78:1.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you would do well to search for "hd-dvd" and "1:1.85". Summer blockbuster movies tend to be filmed in a wider aspect ratio.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can only speak for myself but I don't think that it's anything personal. However, asking at HTF how to alter the movie to fit your screen is sort of equivalent to going into a Star Trek forum and saying "I don't like Star Trek", it's not going to be a popular opinion. I'm not trying to be a jerk (I don't care how you watch your movies) but saying that you want the movie to fill your screen isn't something many people want to do here. They want to watch movies in the aspect ratio that they are intended to be seen in regardless of whether it fills the screen or not.

And if you're worried about burn in, there's almost no chance of it happening on plasma TVs anymore.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
This is an enthusiast forum (check the HTF mission statement), so the only help you are likely to find anywhere here is in understanding what widescreen is and why it is a good thing, not "remedying it" (you would have about as much luck garnering support for the return of DIVX - the Circus City one, not the video codec).

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I work at a Sears electronics dept. I had Star Wars ep 4 (a 2.35 movie) running continuously on a 60" LG plasma for days on end, 12 hours a day, no burn in and it was in torch mode, wrong I know but the lighting is very bright there and J6P won't buy a set that doesn't burn the retinas.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

This post goes against what EVERYTHING the HTF strives for! Just get used to the black bars. They're mostly player generated dead space. And pay attention to the film please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks