What's new

HD-DVD to use MPEG4 and standard DVDs instead of Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
MPEG-4 bad idea. The current versions still cannot look remotely as good and rich as MPEG-2. Not only it lacks details as MPEG-2 by softening picture but also it cannot handle interlaced video which is very important.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The MPEG-4 specification does support interlaced video, don't know where you got that from. I hope nobody is judging MPEG-4 based on that free codec the bootleggers are using to swap stolen movies over the Internet.

Kami

Screenwriter
Why the general hatred towards mpeg4? Just because you use a more efficient codec doesn't mean that you have to lower the data rate. I am fully convinced that mpeg4 at equal bitrates would look a lot better than mpeg2. However I don't think simply switching to mpeg4 and using current storage capacity is good enough. More space + mpeg4 = higher resolution, higher quality video. I think it's a better stepping stone than just more space and continuing to use an aging codec.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. I want less compression, and a higher quality image. Lossy compression compromises quality, I don't care how good it is.
I'm with Jeff on this one. The only kind of compression they should use is the no-loss variety.

Here is why: besides being less then perfect even under ideal circumstances lossy compression is that much worse under less than ideal ones, meaning most of the time.

Sony/Columbia and Criterion may have first rate compressionists in their employ, but the Fox-Lorbers of the world do not, and the vast majority of DVDs get released by the Fox-Lorbers of the world. Going to no compression/lossless compression is the only way to eliminate the human factor and have the results be at least as good as the source material, no matter which studio (or individual) releases it. The choice between MPEG2/4 is irrelevant -- in each case you are at the mercy of the compressionist. I'm all for no-loss audio compression or PCM as well.

Ted

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Please don't confuse MPEG-4 with DivX ;-) and similar such things you find on the 'trading scene.' And please don't assume that some 16 year old with an encode program and a P4 is going to be indicitive of what a professional setup will be able to do.

And you know, it occurs to me that HD should compress just as well as SD; if you've got, say, 12 pixels of a blue sky, in SD, or 400 pixels of a blue sky, in HD, they'll both compress down fairly well.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes unless this miracle MPEG-4 is something new, different and not out yet, I agree that we cannot say anything about it before we see it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
We need something with the bandwidth and storage capacity of FMD.

It's not just about being able to "fit" an HD film on a disc.

It's about having 7 channel 24/192 PCM/DSD sound in five languages. It's about having something that looks identical to the uncompressed HD master. It's about having plenty of room for "extras" without having to decide what gets compromised to fit it on the disc.

FMD solves these problems.

red-laser reflective DVD, using any compression scheme for video, just creates them.

-dave

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Crap! Here we go again!

When the heck are we going to get quality products from Hollywood and the DVD Forum?? Will they ever learn?

Dan

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'd be VERY surprised if we EVER see another uncompressed video format.

I've seen 1280x720p/24 done at 4.5Mbps in MPEG-4, and it's not too bad. I would expect 1080p to be easily doable with minimal artifacting under 30Mbps.

Todd

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That's why I said:
"looks identical to the uncompressed HD master"
I'm assuming we'll have video compression. I just don't want it to leave *any* visible artifacts. And that isn't unrealistic at all...if we're talking about FMD.
-dave

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Crap! Here we go again!

When the heck are we going to get quality products from Hollywood and the DVD Forum?? Will they ever learn?
The answer to that is, NEVER. There is way too much politics involved in the decision making process for the best technology to be chosen. Companies like Warner with their vested interests in the existing DVD will never allow any other format to be chosen.

If the objective was simply to provide the best quality product, then BluRay or FMD, or some other better technology would be selected as the media and MPEG4 (if it is better) would be chosen as the compression format.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Users who are viewing this thread