What's new

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release- (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
you don't have a problem with a DVI input.
there are HDMI >DVI cables and vice versa.
iirc, HDMI just adds the capability of sending an audio signal in, but i think most people are still going to have a seperate reciever set up (if they are bothering with HD they most likely already have 5.1 sound at least).
i have a dvi input on my projector, but was able to use a HDMI dvd player, with the proper cable, without a problem.

yeah, The Music Man was the one title on the list that suprised me the most (in a good way).
although i may not be getting into this right off the bat, i am definitely going to consider selling off more and more of my collection in the coming months in anticipation of eventually upgrading to some HD format.
and yeah Blu Ray has the better specs, but i know from months of serious comparision shopping for HT gear, that specs alone don't mean a whole lot.
the proofs gonna be in the pudding.
if i look at demos of Warners HD DVDS on large displays and see a good enough reson to upgrade, and the price is right, i will.
if the price is right but wow factor isn't there, i'll put my attention back to what little gems are getting released on dvd.
by that time we should be seeing more and more 'deep' catalog titles coming out and thats the kind of stuff i would be more excited to sit down and watch anyway.

yeah, i'll be really excited to see Superman and Jaws and Alien show up eventually- all films i've seen 50+ times.
seeing them in HD will be like seeing them again for only the 10th time.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Back in 97 when i got into DVD I had a motivation to buy a player when there was two formats it was called DivX and we were all highly motivated to see that sink and sink it did. Here consumers cannot win as Early adopters will most likely lose out. How come when ever theres a format war the inferior format always wins? It happened with VHS over Beta and it's playing out here again.

In my situation I have a Mits Widescreen that has neither DVI or HDMI, just component in. I view all my Movies thru my HTPC into my Optoma 800x600 PJ so I can't really say i have the equipment to really maximize HD DVD and I don't think I'll be investing in any soon.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm really not worried about the DVD market drying up over the upcoming release of HD-DVD. There are many clssics still coming in 2005 that the studios aren't putting on hold. We've got the Gangster Collection, Val Lewton titles plus KING KONG, all of which are highly wanted titles. If the studios were worried about holding back for HD, why release these things now? Not to mention the fact that Warner, Fox and Columbia have titles coming the next couple of months that were never released on VHS or LD.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What's amazing to me is how many titles have still NOT been released on DVD.

In addition, there are so many titles that need to be re-released because they are non-anamorphic, and/or non-oar, and/or have poor transfers. As mentioned in another thread, it looks as if HD versions are coming out before many needed remasters of existing poor quality DVDs (Backdraft anyone?).

I mean we are in the ninth year of DVD and still have these issues.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Here is another article at the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity website explaining DVI and HDMI Connections and HDCP.

The key thing is that your hardware supports the HDCP. All HDMI does HDCP, newer DVI supports HDCP and can be used with a converter cable to connect to HDMI, but some older DVI is not HDCP compliant, and would therefore be as useless as the analog component inputs. Clear as mud, no?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
My guess it's the upcoming movie adaptation that was filmed this past December in and around my town of Baton Rouge with Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville as the Duke Brothers and Jessica Simpson as Daisy.

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator

You completely miss the point. No one questions the studios' right to protect their assets. The complaint is that their countermeasures should be reasonable, i.e. proportional and effective. Why don't you want to use a hammer to kill a fly? Because (1) it won't work; and (2) even if you did manage to hit the fly, you'd cause so much other damage it wouldn't be worth it.

Similarly, the "anti-piracy" methods the studios are using don't stop piracy because piracy is largely done by professionals who have no trouble circumventing the anti-piracy steps. The result is that the only people tripped up by regional coding or DeCSS or HDMI-only are honest folks who have shelled out their hard-earned money and have no intention or desire to steal. At a certain point, you have to question the reasonableness of a rule when it mostly ends up punishing the innocent.

I don't deny the studios the right to introduce more effective copy protection methods. But to limit the next generation format to only one type of output - HDMI - with the result that those folks who don't have HDMI are denied the access to the format is, to many folks, too draconian and not a punishment that fits the crime. It's always about balancing and a lot of folks who aren't thieves and don't support theft think the studios have completely lost perspective. Would you support a grocery store insisting on full body cavity searches to prevent the shoplifting of a stick of gum?

Of course, the Powers That Be probably calculated that although there are many people out there who have equipment without HDMI, the vast majority of the consumer market has yet to enter the HD market but when they do, the equipment they buy will have HDMI since it's pretty standard on HD equipment now. So the only folks that will be affected by the HDMI-only rule are the early adopters who are used to getting screwed. From the studios POV, a cold hard calculation.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

There were films never released to VHS and I'm sure many will never hit DVD either. However, it has taken nearly 8 years for some classics to be released so how much longer will people have to wait for these classics to hit HD?

In the early days, if studios were worried about classics selling well on DVD then I'm sure they're going to have the same fears for HD.

Plus, DVD is as mainstream as it is because people could finally buy a DVD player cheaper than having to rebuy a VCR. The "mainstream" won't be throwing their DVD players out until they can replace it with a cheaper HD player.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I can imagine it could take (another eight?) years to get some of the titles we have on regular DVD to hit HD.

I still think the studios should have been releasing some classic movies faster (King Kong, for example). I guess, inevitably, they will come.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Do many Sony CRTs have a HDMI or DVI connection?

How much better does it look than Component?

I was just about to buy an HD ready CRT set. I guess I'll wait.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

Playstation 3 ? I'm a gamer and will almost certainly be getting a PS3 , as will most of my mates . Now , living in the UK this doesn't make any great difference as we don't have any HD capabilities . But in the US and Japan I'd guess that PS3 sales will be huge and the number of people who inadvertently find themselves with a BlueRay drive in their home will number in the millions . Can any format remain a niche product under those circumstances ? I'd suggest it can't .

John H Ross

Screenwriter

But won't PS3 users also need a HDTV with the appropriate HDMI inputs in order to watch Blu-Ray movies properly?

John

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Dec 24, 2004 - JVC Develops Blu-ray/DVD Combo Disc Technology

Victor Company of Japan, Ltd. (JVC) today announced that it has developed the world's first Blu-ray/DVD combo disc technology, which opens the way for the emergence of video releases containing content in both Blu-ray and DVD formats on a single disc. The new combo disc, which has a total storage capacity of 33.5GB (25GB BD-ROM, 8.5GB DVD), uses a triple layer structure made possible by the development of a proprietary high-performance reflective film that reflects the blue laser used for Blu-ray, but is transparent to the red laser used for DVDs. JVC will forward a proposal to the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) to have the technology accepted as a specification for future commercialization. The company is also working on a Blu-ray/DVD combo disc with an even larger 58.5GB (50GB BD-ROM, 8.5GB DVD) storage capacity.
http://www.blu-ray.com/

MORE

DB & DVD9, some of those studios who jumped at HD-DVD may have second thoughts if the HDDVD9 thing was what they wanted.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I don't think the studios are "worried" about HD-DVD, Blue-ray, whatever. I'd imagine that they're licking their chops over the opportunity to sell us the same titles over & over again. From now until fall/winter of this year they'll probably release as much as possible, sort of a big product dump on the market.

This is all fine & dandy now & over the next 6-9 months but I'm thinking of further into the future, which will be here before you know it.

After that it's anyone's guess what will happen. But no matter what things are going to change with our hobby, whether we want them to or not.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Triple layer technology? Oh goody... How much trouble have some of us had with dual-layered discs? Three layers means even more glue to potentially go bad, ie. a greater risk of disc rot!

And if SD-DVD was anything to go by the 1st wave of releases will be hardest hit.

Just being realistic...

John

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I know this is good news for early adopters & persons especially interested in the technology. But I'm not going to be buying for a long time. The $$$ will have to come way down & I'll have to see that there will be multi-regional PAL-to-NTSC players readily available (Unless, of course, that HD DVDs get rid of that need) I just don't feel like starting over again with my nearly 1200 DVD collection. :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have the Panasonic PT-47WX53 model from '03. I hope the DVI connection on that is compatible with the new formats, as I've no intention in updating my television for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks