What's new

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release- (2 Viewers)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
VAN HELSING before the Classic Monsters, which do need better transfers? It's clear to see who these titles are aimed at but even if these look 1000x better than right now, it's going to take a lot more for me to upgrade. I'd buy three titles on that list but thankfully they already look pretty good now so I'll sit this one out.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'll hold my decision until the prices are within normal consumer range or at least $399. I just bought an SVS sub and a 42" LCD. The wife will have me sleeping outside if I ask for a $1k DVD player that only plays 1 format. :)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im waiting it out like everyone else. IF I had to pick one based on what Ive heard it will be Blu-Ray.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm think I'm far away from any type of HD-DVD or Blu Ray DVD player since I still need to buy a DVD Recorder or two among other things (the current computer (I'm using) will need to be replaced sooner or later). Anyway, I think I will wait it out and wait for player prices to drop.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
While I have no dobt that HD will blow away standard def, I still find that a well-mastered SD-DVD looks fantastic. For that matter, I still watch LDs, and enjoy them as much as when I got them.... Part of me hopes that both HD-DVD and BluRay tank, and gives those greed-mongers at the MPAA a huge black eye. Then, out of the ashes, a next, NEXT generation standard emerges, borne out of common sense. Looks like it's 480p for the foreseeable future in my HT... (man, if those mental giants only knew how much business they were losing)...:D

Britton

Screenwriter
Hmm, I might hold off on my plan to buy the Star Trek: First Contact SCE dvd coming in March in this case, but I think my reluctance to take part in a format war will keep me on the regular dvd wagon for now.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm really pulling for Blu-Ray here. I just hope that I have enough will power to NOT buy an HD-DVD player pending the release of the Blu Ray unit.

I've got the will power.

By the way, aren't some studios already on record stating that they will not promise exclusivity to one format or the other? That's going to muddy the waters even farther.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

I think everyone knows why they are only using HDMI, to copy protect it. I will not buy untill it goes under $500, even if we only had the one formate.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

... and this is a by-product of the MPAA's paranioa. Sales stats have constantly shown that piracy barely makes a dent in overall sales, in spite of what their greed suggests to be the case...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If it barely makes a dent, how big does the dent need to be before it is legitimate for a company to fight theft without being accused of being greedy?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I guess I wasted a lot of money buying an HDTV ready set then if HD signals will not be made available via Component video.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Ernest, I am in no way suggesting that they don't have every right to fight theft (and I am fully behind hitting the thiefs hard with lawsuits). I am only saying that the "gloom and doom" figures they tout as the result of piracy is inflated unrealistically high. Besides, I know that I am not alone in being more than a little bitter...

And as far as "how big the dent needs to be"..... even one theft is one to many AFAIAC...

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Wait a second. So you're saying if my Mitsubishi 55809(I think that's the model number) doesn't have these HDMI connections, I can't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs?

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

The point is they are going to pirate it no matter what you do. They will find away around it. The HDMI only thing hurts the people who are PAYING for it. Many have already got HD tv's and should not have to buy another just because they don't have HDMI. I am lucky to have HDMI, but would like the option to use another conection if I choose to.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
My cousin lost his job in the music industry about five years ago thanks in part to the rise in file swapping and music piracy, and an old friend of mine in the film business had his computer hacked by a movie rumour site looking for info, so computer theft is a subject I'm a bit sensitive to.

I don't think that any private commercial enterprise that protects itself from theft is being greedy, even if it is nothing more than a single piece of gum from a convenience store. It's too bad that there are dishonest people in the world that spoil the party for everybody else, but don't blame the studios for being greedy, blame the thieves and internet pirates and file swappers for making the studios sensitive to protecting their assets in the first place.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Just a after thought. Put a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive in you HTPC. Then your can use what ever connection you like. I saw a link somewhere that said HD-DVD drives will hit the market soon.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Dell and Hewlett-Packard are both supporting Blu-Ray DVD. I haven't heard anything about them supporting this hybrid HD-DVD tech.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Bingo.

Actually, the way things are looking, the HD players will output along component, but it will be down-rezzed to SD DVD...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I think Ron and Michel sum up my feelings, too. I'm distressed by the notion that a lesser format will prevail, and uninterested in making a choice that will cleave in two the catalog of available movies that are playable on my system.

Yes, yes, I've got a DVD-A/DVD-V player and a SACD/CD player in my system. For that matter, I've got a separate DVD player for other-region and PAL->NTSC conversion, and even yet another CD player in addition to my SACD/CD player that upsamples nicely and decodes HDCD. So, why not get a Blu-ray and HD-DVD player?

Well, I guess I'd say there's not enough space left in the rack (which is already 6 feet tall), the cost of these players will be high in the short-run, there's only one HDMI input on my TV, and I'm sick of owning a huge pile of separate components each constructed to play only one or two or maybe three of the varieties of little round discs. I only have all this crap sitting in my living room because I love music and movies... I don't really care to have a bunch of black and silver boxes taking up space in my small Boston apartment. As it stands, I've got blue dots, red dots, yellow dots, and green dots stuck on the cases of all my DVDs, DVD-As, DADs, HDADs, SACDs, CDs, HDCD (uh... is that all of em?) just so my wife will know in which component to stick this or that shiny metal disc.

And if a guy like me balks at the prospect of competing HD formats (and except for the player itself, I'm HD-ready equipment-wise and more-than-willing), I can only imagine how the average consumer will react.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks